jimmy ellis vs ken norton

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by joe brown, Mar 3, 2017.

1. joe brown

joe brown Keep it Simple Full Member

Jan 22, 2017
    what do you think?

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Probably a good fight. Ellis was a game fighter. Quick, skilled and had a better punch than you'd expect from a guy who started at middle weight. But Ken dealt with boxers fairly well and was awkward. I think he'd steadily break Jimmy down for the stoppage late or maybe a decision. Be a nice match though

Rakesh, Charlietf and timmers612 like this.
  3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Could be a close run thing. Ellis was a good decent boxer. Norton would work him out and get him on points but only just.

Rakesh and red cobra like this.
  4. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Jimmy would start well but Ken eventually grinds him down to force a late rounds stoppage.

5. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Close and competitive early but Norton eventually wins by ko within 8 rounds.

6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    This is an absolute great match. It's too easy to just write off Ellis in this one. At first glance I too said Norton by decision. Moreover, I'll stick with that. But this is one of those fights that you wouldn't want to head to the concession stand for a dog, because anything can happen in this one. Now, Norton seemed to really thrive on this kind of style (Ali, Holmes, Young), but Ellis' punching power needs to be looked at. I recall Dundee once claiming that Ellis was the best one-punch knockout artist in the heavyweights today (this was in '73). Dundee also claimed that it was Ellis and not Jeff Merritt that broke Shaver's jaw postponing the Quarry fight. Indeed, when one examines his record you see 11 1st round KOs on his record, decking the rock-jawed Bonavena twice, IMO rattling Chuvalo in the 1st round of their fight, hurting Patterson in the 3rd round of their fight, stunning Lyle in the 9th and indeed stunning Shavers before he dropped the bomb on Jimmy. His straight right was fast and sharp and Norton's jaw was never the best. Again, Norton on a decision (I loved Ken's body work) but nothing is a given here and that Ellis speed and right hand could get scary.

7. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Norton wouldn't be intimated by Ellis...Ellis being basically a nice guy. Norton by decision.

8. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Great posting, I was just wondering if Jimmy's right hand had enough on it to drop Ken, not sure but I do think Ellis could stun him good. The punch that I think would put the fight in Ken's corner would be his jab, Jimmy's wasn't that sharp and I think Norton would bang his face with his pretty often setting up his body attack. When conditioned right Ellis was a nice combination puncher and I think he would land some beauties on Ken, however Ken was stronger and could punch for fifteen rounds, Ken by several rounds or late stoppage of a game Jimmy Ellis.

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Ellis would box is ears off.

10. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Ken Norton did better when fighting cuties rather than the hard punchers. As a result, I would pick Norton to win by a close decision over Jimmy Ellis in a given bout.

- Chuck Johnston

11. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Id lean toward Norton who I think is totally overrated except for one thing. Ellis' right hand. Ellis had a cracking sneak right hand that carried a lot of pop in it. If he landed on Norton's weak chin he could alter the course of the fight and keep Norton honest. He did it to Bonavena, he did it Martin, and he did it Quarry, all guys who should have given him a lot more problems than they did. He also did it to Chuvalo who I wouldnt have favored to beat Ellis but who I would have thought would have roughed Ellis up and outmuscled him but after tasting a few of Ellis' right hands Chuvalo turned into a kitten and was actually backing off and getting bullied in the final round so while the knee jerk reaction is to pick Norton Im not so sure. Its definately close IMO. Another factor is whether we are talking a mythical matchup when both are at their best or when this fight could have actually been a reality. It probably made the most sense from 72 to 75 and Ellis was fading fast at that point. If they fight 71 and before Id favor Ellis. Norton didnt have a lot of experience at that point against quality opposition whereas Ellis was in his prime and had been to the big dance several times.

red cobra, Smokin Bert and ETM like this.
  12. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Despite all his physical disadvantages, Ellis had the capacity to hurt Norton with that right hand of his. It was a fast, sneaky bomb.

13. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That right could come out of the blue.

14. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Watch the Frazier-Ellis fight. Jimmy had boxing skills and no way Norton could swarm Ellis like Joe did. I personally think the Ellis-Frazier s c r a p was every bit as exciting as the 1st Frazier-Quarry. That Ellis right hand would land and hurt Ken and...Ellis would be hurt as well but I can easily see a Jimmy UD (in his prime). Let's not forget, in 67-68 he went thru a 4 fight run with impressive wins over Martin-Bonavena-Quarry-Patterson. Of course he looked like a broken nosed, both eyes closing gargoyle against Patterson. Sorry, just a shout out to the Great Patterson.

red cobra and ETM like this.
  15. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Ellis gives Norton a boxing lesson.