Joe Bugner vs Duane Bobick in 1977 , 12 rds

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by frankenfrank, Mar 13, 2012.

1. kenmore

kenmore Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Of course, this is assuming Bobick fights his best...and doesn't freeze or underachieve. As for Leon, he simply was not a real heavyweight, and often looked vulnerable against big, physically strong guys with decent power.

By brawling and getting physical and rough, LeDoux held Spinks to a draw. I think Bobick would have done that much better than LeDoux.

2. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Y without d knowlege of Norton vs Bobick ? Bugner was no Norton and could not do what Norton did . If Bobick took as much as he did of Norton's punches prior 2 even going down and then got up , he would have walked right through Bugner's pillow dusters and ****ed him .
    Who knows ? maybe even a stoppage as well , at least as long as Norton was alive .

3. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Bugner was not stronger than Bobick . That's another wrong assumption by u .
    So u agree that Bugner was stronger than Bobick and would have somehow outmauled d mauler ?

4. Senor Pepe'

Senor Pepe' Boxing Junkie banned

Mar 14, 2012
    On Duane Bobick,

Alot of observers do remember his Television fight versus Bunny Johnson.

Though he was not impressive, because of his dull and lumbering performance.
    It is forgotten, that Bobick floored Johnson in the 2nd Round, and nearly ended it.

After Johnson got up, he entered a track meet for the next 4 rounds.
    That's what most viewers remember, Bobick looking like an oaf chasing a
    smaller under-sized guy.

5. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    He looked real bad in that Houpe bout as well. Same thing, when it came down to pressing on the gaspedal & showing you are the superior fighter in there. The only good thing about that was getting in rounds for the Norton fight, but there sure wasn't many other positive things you could come up with.

At any rate, jumping up in class to fight a guy like a Norton or even a Bugner is a massive step up. Here's a guy with 37 fights and he's showing he isn't ready. Now you are going to put him under the spotlight in a big pressure bout & his last big pressure bout was the Stevenson disaster. But they must have felt a Ward or Evangelista or Dennis or that caliber of guy was too dangerous for the payday.

The irony is, even a win over Norton may not have gotten the Ali sweepstakes anyway. He could very well have been sidestepped just like some other names were. so you take the risk but there was no absolute guarantee of an Ali fight, just a discussion. That's a real tough position to be in and it's a lot easier being the monday morning quarterback for the heavies with what they should have done.

6. kenmore

Jan 29, 2008
    I remember that fight, and was planning to ask: does anyone here have the film? Could you put it on youtube?

That was the first time I saw Bobick fight, and I thought he nearly lost. He was very unimpressive. I remember thinking also that Johnson didn't look seriously hurt at the end. I was surprised that Johnson quit.

Sr. Pepe: I think you are understating Johnson's effectiveness, if I remember correctly. It looked to me as if Johnson won rounds 3, 4, 5, 6, and possibly even 7.

Bobick won rounds 1 and 2, including a knockdown in the 2nd. The only other round he won, I thought, was the 8th.

7. kenmore

Jan 29, 2008
    I guess Bobick did better in the 7th and 8th than I thought. Still, I really do think Johnson may have won rounds 3 through 6.

"Duane Bobick, 209, dropped former British heavyweight champ Bunny Johnson, 184 in the 2nd round with a left-right combination, but the Jamaican born Briton managed to use his speed to duck away from trouble in the next four rounds. Duane's body punches started to take their toll in the 7th round, keeping Johnson against the ropes. In the 8th round, Duane battered Johnson with body punches that left him exhausted and nearly defenseless at the bell. Johnson failed to answer the bell for the 9th round." -Associated Press

8. Senor Pepe'

Senor Pepe' Boxing Junkie banned

Mar 14, 2012
    The May 25, 1976 bout was in Munich, Germany

The undercard bout of the Muhammad Ali vs. Richard Dunn Heavyweight Championship

The bout was on NBC Television.

Dick Enberg called the fight, and they were trying to promote Bobick as a
    potential title challenger for Ali's crown.

Not sure where Bobick was rated by the boxing orginizations, but Ring Magazine
    had him ranked #9.

If I remember correctly, Bobick was the clear aggressor in Round 1, and won it
    easily. Bobick used his size and physical strength to out-muscle the smaller Johnson.

Same thing in Round 2, and when Bunny Johnson tried to go on the offensive, he got nailed. Bobick stunned Johnson with a right hand, and followed up with left-right combination which dropped him late in the round. Johnson used his foot speed
    to stay away and survive the last segment of the round.

I'm sure the one thing you remember, is the difference in size between Bobick and Bunny Johnson.

Bobick looked like a fullback, and Johnson looked like a little scatback runner.

9. JohnWilkin

JohnWilkin Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2016
    would be interesting history maker fight ! Certainly Joe Bugner by careers end the greater achiever at pro ranks. Duane a stronger amateur background. Someone here say's Duane not beating anyone elite..mW, and more too though mW the greater name ! Duane a funny CAT ! HE Maybe do exceptional against Bugner. But too we all know Duane can also fall- appart..

10. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Has anyone in here bothered to check out my two fresh Duane Bobick bouts? Eh? :lol:

11. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes...I would bet on Bugner landing plenty on Duane...probably for a lopsided decision win with a kd or two late.

12. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    The fatal flaw of Duane's was his complete lack of defense against a right hand...it's painful to watch tbh, but watch this bout of his with Young Sanford.
    This content is protected

Fred Houpe, aka Young Sanford landed that right of his relentlessly...Bobick had no idea how to block, slip, parry, etc., that right. Managed by the great Redd Foxx (one of, if not the funniest comedians ever), if Houpe had any power at all, he would have stopped Duane IMO.

13. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Yessir Russell,...in fact, I believe that I may have seen one of them before on tv back in the 70's.

Russell likes this.
  14. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    That's amazing. What kind of recollections do you get when you see something that you haven't revisited in that long a time? Are the memories faint, or is it a sterner kind of impression of deja vu...? Is it enjoyable, is it nostaglic?

I don't even know, it's been longer since you've first seen that Bobick fight than I've been alive. :lol:

red cobra likes this.
  15. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    yes, I watched some of both videos and I also watched some other Bobick fights on YT. As someone mentioned Bobick gets hit too often with right hands, but even in the Norton fight, at about the 6:10 mark he pulls back from a right hand and counters with his own and it is textbook. Bobick pulls back over his right leg as Norton's right misses, turns his left shoulder to the right and fires back. Bobick was well schooled, he does a lot of things well in the videos Russell posted, but for whatever reason he had lapses. Maybe it was a lack of concentration or maybe he just lacked the reflexes/athletic ability against better fighters.

This content is protected

Russell likes this.