Joe Calzaghe vs. Canelo Alvarez (15 year Calzaghe vs. Lacy Anniversary)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by iceferg, Mar 4, 2021.

Who wins

1. Joe Calzaghe (prime) Points

58 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. Joe Calzaghe (prime) TKO

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Canelo TKO

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Canelo Points

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    The fight would be at Wembley before 80,000 hooligans. Only there could JC get a decision.

2. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017
    am i missing something here?
    there's a lot of people on here judging canelo for not having a great resume, yet here we are giving props to a guy who's best win against a fighter in their prime was mikkel kessler.
    and now he's beating canelo in a landslide poll?

canelo is P4P number 1 (arguably), while the closest calzaghe ever came to P4P #1 is fighting jones and hopkins when they were losing as many as they were winning.
    calzaghe was an excellent fighter, but he didn't fight any great (or even close) fighters who were in their prime.

calzaghe chose not to test himself against the best of his era, so i don't see how looking good against the best of the rest qualifies him to be compared to the best.

shadow111 likes this.
  3. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    It's comedy around here as it pertains to Canelo, isn't it? You hit the nall on the head. He's beating Canelo in a landslide poll, Calzaghe never was P4P #1, Canelo's been P4P #1 for years and clearly is the face of boxing. Calzaghe never fought at the level Canelo is fighting at now, was never recognized as the best of his era like Canelo is now. The level of competition, overhyped Lacy, Kessler, RJJ 5 years after he moved down from Heavyweight and never was seen as the same again, still knocked down Joe and had Calzaghe rattled early, 40s Bernard Hopkins who many thought beat Joe.

Now granted prime Super Middleweight Calzaghe years earlier was a very good fighter, and he would give Canelo a tough test. But any reasonable person would have to favor Canelo given how dominant and impressive he's been. Ask yourself if Prime Calzaghe fought Callum Smith, we'd expect Calzaghe to win, but he would never win as easily or as dominantly as Canelo did.

Calzaghe would struggle mightily with Daniel Jacobs, while Canelo schooled and dominated Jacobs. Just look at some of the fighters Canelo fought and ask how Calzaghe would do. Calzaghe would never be able to knock out Kovlaev like Canelo did. His slaps wouldn't find the target to take Kovalev out clean like Canelo did. Calzaghe's a great fighter, but he would have all kinds of problems vs Canelo. He's never faced that level of class and skill in his career.

Aussie Invader likes this.
  4. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Im going to be honest and you lot will laugh at me but I think your all alright so Im going to be honest :nonono:)

I think BJS will do a Jeff Lacy on Canelo

Joe would not have let Canelo get to him Joe would stay behing the jab and slowly pull Canelo apart .

If BJS does it right he could do the same as Joe would have done despite lacking the punch power

5. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    @Devon Dog how do you see BJS doing vs Prime Calzaghe?

6. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    This