Joe Calzaghe vs. Dmitry Bivol at 175

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Slyk, Sep 19, 2022.

Who wins at 175?

1. "Italian" Joe Calzaghe

26.1%
  2. Dmitry Bivol

73.9%
  1. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Who wins?

(This is a test)

2. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Sub-zero....

███████╗░█████╗░████████╗░█████╗░██╗░░░░░██╗████████╗██╗░░░██╗ ██╔════╝██╔══██╗╚══██╔══╝██╔══██╗██║░░░░░██║╚══██╔══╝╚██╗░██╔╝ █████╗░░███████║░░░██║░░░███████║██║░░░░░██║░░░██║░░░░╚████╔╝░ ██╔══╝░░██╔══██║░░░██║░░░██╔══██║██║░░░░░██║░░░██║░░░░░╚██╔╝░░ ██║░░░░░██║░░██║░░░██║░░░██║░░██║███████╗██║░░░██║░░░░░░██║░░░ ╚═╝░░░░░╚═╝░░╚═╝░░░╚═╝░░░╚═╝░░╚═╝╚══════╝╚═╝░░░╚═╝░░░░░░╚═╝░░░
    This content is protected

Ph33rknot and Slyk like this.
  3. kdyehs

kdyehs Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I think the style to beat Bivol is a forward slugger who can cut the ring. Not a pretty style. If you want to be technical with him you gonna lose. He tends to go inside his shell when under pressure. He doesn't throw uppercut.

Calzaghe stands good chances but I would favor a true agressor more. Maybe Beterbiev.

sasto and Dance84 like this.
  4. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    A very intriguing matchup this one!

But I think Bivol takes this one - i think he can keep up with Zags workrate, execute a gameplan and nullify Joe's angles.

Bivol's judging of distance is top notch and think he would have the answer to Calzaghe's angles, but he' probably have to adjust multiple times.

Bivol decision, but might be split

5. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Of the 168s coming up, I'd only favor Andre Ward and Roy Jones against him. Froch would be an interesting fight. I think Bivol would be a bad matchup for Calzgahe at 175.

Joeywill, drenlou and gollumsluvslave like this.
  6. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Super Joe... Wide points... Bivols good.. But the canelo fight flatters to deceive.

7. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Barely squeaking by a 43 year old Hopkins (in a fight many thought Joe lost), while getting knocked down in the process by a non-puncher has me convinced! Super Joe!

Jackman65 and UniversalPart like this.
  8. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Calzaghe would be too good and too much of a dog for Bivol.

jquest, AdamT and Dannymita like this.
  9. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Id have loved Calzaghe v DM back in the day.. when Joe moved to 175 it was just a cash out fight it would have been interesting to see him move up earlier and challenge the likes of Darius.. Bivol v Joe is a brilliant tactical matchup.. didn't see enough of him at 175 though

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  10. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    His undefeated recorded is very decieving. Full of tomato cans and over the hill fighters.

Even the Kessler fight was not the whitewash it is made out to be.

11. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Crybabies still crying 14 years after Joe hung them up for good.

Calzaghe Derangement Syndrome is a lifelong affliction

That's a good ass fight and an intriguing style match up

12. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    You mean the guy Joe fought in his second to last fight..... The guy who ruled middle for ten years before jumping up 2 weights to dethrone Antonio tarver and become number one at light heavy..... The guy who was still winning titles a decade later..... An atg whose a top 50 all time fighter . That Hopkins?

Calzaghe vs Hopkins was a ****in crap fight but Joe won.. Hopkins didn't do enough.

I'll take Joe head to head over a lot of fighters round that weight... Could he be beat? sure!...... By bivol... I'd have to see more from him... And he coasts which makes him hard to gauge.. As it stands... I'll take calzaghe... Wide

Serge, AdamT and Liquorice like this.
  13. Liquorice

May 13, 2018
    Hopkins had to stall the fight because he was getting worked and he knew it .. so the idea that he won is a joke.. it was an atrocious match up and Hopkins knew he couldn't stand toe-to-toe and stay within the rules , in a fair fight with no prison tactics Calzaghe wins wider or Hopkins quits like he almost did :lol:

Serge and Dannymita like this.
  14. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    I genuinely don't know why he required that breather to this day.... The only thing he did was throw the right and hold

Serge likes this.
  15. Liquorice

May 13, 2018
    They can't say its because he was old either because look what he went on to do.. Worked Pavlik, Pascal , Cloud, Shumenov etc :lol:.. it's Calzaghe physicality and workrate.. & it was pre-planned he knew he had to find breathers in the fight and look for a way out .. Calzaghe almost made him quit even with hands like candy floss lmao

Serge and Cally like this.