Joe Calzaghe vs Joey Maxim (175lbs)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SJS19, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Calzaghe would win

SMW = LHW anyway

BTW Ring magazines opinion should be worthless to most around here, I mean Tunney 4 spots below Maxim? No Greb?

Pretty much although he'll be remembered more fondly than he currently is.

2. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    If he's fought Jones at his peak I think Calzaghe may well be less highly regarded. Maybe if he'd fought Woods instead of Jones' corpse I might pick him against Maxim ;-)

WTF is SMW>LHW all about PP?! GTF outta' here with that **** mush.

3. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    MEaning it's the same weight class really with next day weigh ins and it is

Even if Calzaghe lost to Jones and everyone fought everyone in the era of the last 20years, Calzaghe would get more props on the Classic forum because he would pick more names up his resume as wins, despite picking up a few losses. LEt's say everyone fights everyone and they all fights 20 fights a year you can easily add Tarver, Otke, Trinidiad, Delahoya, Winky Wright and maybe a 2-3 loss of series to Hopkins

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007

In all honesty, I don't pay much homage to ring magazine opinions either, but it is a source that many others do find credible to some extent. In any case, I think its fair to say that Maxim was an all time great.. Not to the extent that Charles, Moore, Spinks, or Foster was of course, but certainly top 20 all time is reasonable.

5. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Seriously McGrain? Joe Calzaghe? Hmmmm.

6. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    At 165lbs Joe Calzage but Maxim was more proven that he was superior at 175lbs and would have beaten all of the men JC fought at that weight...Hopkins,Jones....Maxim fought many competitively such as Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles and beat these men...Ray Robinson, Floyd Patterson, JJWalcot,Bob Satterfield,Jimmy Bivens,Gus Lesnevich,Freddie Mills,Bob Murphy, Ted Lowry, Danny Nardico...

Calzage was special but his division was 168lbs for the most part while Maxim fought light heavyweight and heavyweights, his light heavyweight resume was light and in all fairness he was over 35 when he moved up in weight

7. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Ring magazine ceased being credible to me when they became the official Oscar De La Hoya fan boy magazine.
    I agree with Bummy..at 165 JC, but at 175 Maxim would use his superior size and strength to negafie JC's speed and assets. Maxim was a 15 round fighter and a master of the art of negative boxing and would outlast Calzaghe like he did SRR..even without a ringside oven.

8. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Maxim on film did not live up to expectations for me. He has a good left jab, good durability and good stamina but outside of that he was nothing special. In fact he looks a little stiff. Almost one-dimensional in terms of what he could do well, and he wasn't a puncher. I think Clazaghe would win easy as he is faster, harder to tag, and offers more variety and tactics.

9. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    i would think joe c wins most rounds between these two. he would have to go down 3+ times to lose over 12.(the later joe, lacy times)

10. thistle1

thistle1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 30, 2006
    he wasn't a killer puncher but don't doubt for a minute there's no sting in his punches, he was a solid boxer proven and you don't 'stay off' the bigger men on just science alone.

Maxim beats JC everytime.

11. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Very nice. :good

12. Ren

Ren Active Member Full Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Cal has some special qualities like fitness, which he could use to ge a SD, along with his punch output.

More likely he gets dominated and hurt along the way and may fall to a KO, Cal's chin was good at SMW but he got floored in every fight at LH.

13. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    maxim rips joes head clean off within a few rounds.

14. albinored

albinored Active Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2007
    ...maxim was an excellent light heavy in an era of great light heavies.....possibly the greatest that division ever had at the same time. maxim was a rated heavyweight before he dropped down to light heavy. i think he takes this one on a wide decision.

15. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Maxim by decision.