Joe Frazier (FOTC version) vs Lennox Lewis (late 90s)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Holmes' Jab, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    15 rounds, who wins?

I think I put foward this matchup very recently in the dream matchup thread, I've been thinking this one over for a while now and I still think it'd be a very intruguing fight- very close to call.

As far as Frazier is concerned the main reason some people (myself included) rank him very high up in the Top 10 is most likely because of his win against Ali in their first fight. It has to be said Frazier was the only fighter to beat Ali when he was still in his absolute prime, which counts for alot. There aren't many HW's in history who I'd favour head-to-head against a '71 Frazier- Foreman (as proved) and Liston may well have him stylistically checked, Holmes and pre-Vietman Ali- possibly?

The more I think about it, though the more I think Lewis would slot into this category. He has the boxing skills (jab), physical attributes as well as additional punching power (a notch up from Ali's) and ring strategy etc to pose Frazier with many headaches. To counter that Fraziers sheer intensity, toughness, stamina and wicked left hook could well end Lewis' night early should he not bring his total A game into the ring.

My gut instinct says Lewis could well edge a tight decision, a stoppage win for Frazier wouldn't be out of the question though.

Lewis SD15 Frazier

2. Denny Cruser

Denny Cruser Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2006
    I think that this is not real match up, cause Frazier is too small. But if to analyze, one must remember, that Frazier lacked one-punch-KO power and rarely/never KO real big gyus with one punch. Joe works as machine-gun, landing one left-hook after one with accumulative effect. Lewis has great defence against left-hooks by blocking and working by torso and such left-hookers as Ruddock, Tua, Holyfiled, in principle Briggs, Morrison, in principle Butler and others are failed to succes with left-hooks.
    In addition, Lewis has one of the most terrific uppercuts of all-time HWs, and all small sluggers and swarmers always pain from such punch. Even Tyson with his great defence always pain from uppercuts, as he coming low. Frazier will take uppercuts and gets back. Thats all, further Joe cant take those punches from Lewis. I think such boxers are made for Lewis. Joe will be nightmare for ALi, Holmes, but not for Lewis. IMO.

3. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Lewis by KO. Frazier is too small, his skills are a class below Lewis', he doesn't have solid enough chin to last the distance and doesn't have enough punching power to hope for a lucky punch.

Claw4075 likes this.
  4. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Lewis by KO within 5 rounds. Even the FOTC Frazier got hit a LOT during the first 5 rounds when he "warmed up". Against Ali he could afford that but Ali does not have the concussive force on his punches needed to stop Frazier. Lewis did, just like Foreman. He tear Frazier up from the outside with straight right hands and uppercuts on the inside, after which he'd tie Frazier up to neutralise him at Frazier's best range.

Claw4075 likes this.
  5. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

I think Frazier would win it on points.

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I think this would be a beut. Lewis may be made for Frazier. He was always a little reticent - I was speaking to Luigi about this the other day, how Lewis probably had the physical capability to KO Willard over 12, but it would never happen on account of his mentaliy. The same thing here would spell disaster for Lennox. He must get of first.

I'm kind of sitting on the fence with this but I think that it's a coin toss. Lewis has every conceivable physical advantage but Frazier spells real trouble for him. I'm laying no money here, at a push I'd pick Lewis via mid round stoppage...but it really could be Frazier by mid round stoppage. Or an early stoppage. Or late. Or points. I think this is one of those fights where all results are possible.

7. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    My own suspicion is that Frazier's hustle and body attack takes this one by decision or late stoppage. Lewis never went 15 rounds, and was lacking the aroused mentality necessary to perform well for a sustained period against Frazier. Lennox couldn't take out an over-the-hill Holyfield, who was able to physically bull Lewis around the ring a bit. Joe's bobbing and weaving would allow him to get under much of Lewis's attack. Could go very differently also.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, I agree with that. Thing is that might save Lewis - if he can realise it he might aim for an early ish KO, in which case he might get it.

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think this could be verry interesting to be honest.

Forgett the Foreman fight. Lewis would try to use the same strategy that he used against David Tua, jab jab. The difference is that Frazier force the action more agresively and would have the upper body mobility to consistently make the jab miss. He would also not go into the fight headhunting but would play a more far sighted game.

10. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin You dipstick Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Ali maybe didn't punch as hard as Lewis but much more frequent.
    Lewis also tee's up with the uppercut but mostly when he can have his other hand on the head of the opponent. Frazier is a bit to elusive coming in to be hit with one punch at a time. Anf if he doesn't has his hip protector up to his chin, Frazier will make him urinate blood
    Frazier bij UD or late round stoppage

11. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Hardcore......to the max! Full Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Ali hit Frazier with loads of punches in that fight,Infact Frazier got hit with loads of punches in all his fights,if he gets hit with lots of punches by Lewis who arguably hits as hard as Foreman (or very close) then Frazier is going to sleep.

Frazier bulled Ali around the ring in that fight but i don't see how a 205 man could push around the 250 Lewis.
    It would resemble the Foreman fight i believe,Lewis is just too skilled.

12. FlatNose

FlatNose Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Lennox Lewis against the Frazier who beat Ali? Frazier pummels him.Other than Holyfield , and an old Tyson, Lennox Lewis stood tall over a pretty mediocre bunch compared to what Joe had to slog through to get to the top.This isn't meant to put down Lennox, but his chin let him down too many times to be considered competitive against an All Time Great like Frazier.

13. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Tua was a bad example to come with, David was/is pretty one-dimensional and computable, I don´t know how Lewis would get along with Frazier´s intensive pace and hard attacks. IMO Frazier would wear Lewis down in the midrounds, some here wrote that the 205 lbs. Frazier couldn´t beat the 240 lbs. man Lewis, wrong, look for example at the Mercer fight (Ray weighed ca. 235 lbs, but he was a bit fat and not in good shape, in shape he weighed 215 lbs), although not in top shape he made a close fight with Lewis and outjabbed him. Don´t overact always with the weight.

Frazier TKO 8 Lewis

14. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

I must admit the Mercer fight is the one I think of when I imagine Lewis in there with a tough smaller pressure fighter, a great one like Frazier.

Then again, the Tua example is not totally off, both short pressure fighters with left hooks.
    But David Tua seemed to have NO CLUE WHATSOVER about cutting the ring off, that was his problem his entire career, he even made Hasim Rahman look like an expert stick-and-mover once, and that is why he now struggles to even catch up with low-level journeymen.

Lennox Lewis can conceivably TKO almost anyone, and Frazier could be dropped.
    But I think prime for prime, over 15 rounds, Frazier would survive any heavy hitting and wear Lewis down. There might be a lot of jab-grabbing in this one from Lewis.

15. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007

A reasonable shout.

Do you see something different if Lewis comes out very aggressively? I feel if he is aggressive he has a very good chance of getting something like TKO 8 himself, no?