Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by cyrax99, Jan 18, 2013.

1. steviebruno

steviebruno ESB NYC Delegate Full Member

Dec 1, 2012
    What is George Foreman's record against ATGs?

2. PityTheFool

PityTheFool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn't blacktop bully say on here last year that Ali was vastly overrated?
    Apologies to BTB if it wasn't him but someone did

3. SJS19

SJS19 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    In an all time H2H sense, he doesn't do that well.

When judged by the standard of his era, and at his fully motivated peak, Frazier was a real hard and vicious *******, and I wouldn't fancy 15 rounds with him.

He's in my 9-12 range for ATG HW's.

4. ROACH

ROACH Boxing Addict banned

Sep 27, 2012
    You have to judge guys like Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson at their best.

Out of those three, I'd say Frazier is the weakest link, but he had a style that could be kryptonite for tall guys that liked to box.

He would have his hands full if he ran into a guy like Bowe and Foreman.

Then again, so would Dempsey and Tyson.

You know how it is, styles make fights.

5. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    Stick to doing your homework Junior. You're clueless.

6. SJS19

SJS19 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2011

He did run into Foreman, and he bounced off.

Guys who gave him something to slip, and didn't follow up hard enough to stop him in his tracks would always have a problem. Guys like Ruiz etc would be made for Frazier.

I see him as being one of those guys who should be favoured over all but the very best. Then again he does have a win against someone alot of people consider the best HW of all time.

7. chinachin

chinachin Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Lame ass thread, OP just went full ******.

8. brnxhands

brnxhands Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 1, 2011
    no that would be jack dempsey, if anything frazier is a littue under appreciated

9. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I see the Ts still isn't seeing sense.

I'm sure he was there at the time shitting on the fotc because Ali was watered down :-(

10. xRedx

xRedx Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2012
    --> One of the reasons why you think Muhammad Ali was a much great fighter pre-exile is because of his performance against Cleveland Williams. "This is Muhammad Ali in his prime" you think to yourself. The fact of the matter is that Cleveland Williams was severely damaged by a gunshot which left him partially paralyzed in his left leg.

"Williams had been inactive the entire year of 1965 while recovering from gunshot wounds he suffered at the hands of a police officer arising out of a traffic stop. Boxing reporter Jerry Izenberg adds "...shot for no apparent reason." Williams was shot with a .357 Magnum in the abdomen, barely survived, and suffered permanent kidney damage, a loss of over ten feet of his small intestine, and nerve damage from the bullet which affected his left leg above the knee, causing it to atrophy as a result. "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Williams

It isn't like Muhammad Ali stopped all his training while in exile, he still kept himself in shape so don't use that as an excuse. I will admit that he lost some skill but not alot.

If you are going to use the excuse of Ali being "out of prime" because of the exile, then what about the blindness that Joe Frazier had in his left eye. Why don't you account for that? Don't be biased.

--> Joe Frazier was to some extent robbed in his second fight against Ali. The referee was horrible and never deducted any points for Muhammad Ali constantly clinching behind the neck. There was also boxing politics at hand. Ali was much more popular than Frazier due to his bravery rejecting the Vietnam war draft. He already lost once to Frazier, so how could the judges make him lose again? It would make Ali look bad which was against the flow at the time.

--> The third fight was an amazing performance from both athletes. However, the deciding factor was the blindness in Joe's left eye. If Frazier had vision in his left eye he would have definitely won.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

To conclude, Joe Frazier won the first fight against Ali convincingly, a unanimous decision. The second fight was full of politics and bad refereeing, and the third fight was won by Ali because of the blindness in Frazier's left eye. If both fighters were in perfect health. This means that Frazier would have vision in both eyes and Ali would never have been exiled, the match up would have been even. To say otherwise, is biased.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I await a reply.

11. The Ape

The Ape Member Full Member

Jan 17, 2013
    This guy is a so called boxing fan.

**** off *******. He beat a prime ali

Delete this **** thread.

Attention *****.

12. xRedx

Dec 17, 2012
    Also, I think Joe Frazier become somewhat lazy and was basking in the fame and wealth he received after giving Muhammad Ali his first loss. I think this is the reason Joe Frazier lost to George Foreman, he wasn't in his prime. He weighed approximately 10lbs heavier in the Foreman fight than in his first fight against Ali, his peak weight.

Joe Frazier weighed 205lbs in his first fight against Muhammad Ali.
    Joe Frazier weighed 214lbs in his first fight against George Foreman.
    http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=147&cat=boxer

So I don't think your argument against Frazier based on George Foreman is valid. Also his second fight against Foreman was when he was way out of his prime, he sustained to much physical and psychological damage after the third fight with Ali.

13. xRedx

Dec 17, 2012
    I'd rate Joe Frazier, a top 20 all time great. Maybe even a top 10. The problem will all time great lists is the fighters are measured on not only their boxing abilities but what they do outside the ring. If outside ring accomplishments are factored in, then it's not really a pure boxing list anymore.

14. Garrus

Garrus Big Boss 1935-2014 Full Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Not any valid list does.

15. xRedx

Dec 17, 2012
    You don't think the rankers are affected at a subconscious level?