joe frazier: underated or overated?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vantage_West, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Ramon Rojo

Ramon Rojo Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2005
    He´s very underrated by some people here.

Anyone who doesn´t have Frazier in their top10 alltime heavyweight list is underrating him.

2. biggamejames

biggamejames Guest

I wouldd say that time has underrated his value and I am a BIG Ali fan but Frazier just misses the the top 5 but Definitely a top 10 ATG just on the Ali triology just a litte tidbit about frazier:He called out Ali b4 Ali's exile and they didnt want no parts of Frazier and he broke Holmes ribs sparring with him and that's why Holmes went to Ali.

3. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006

4. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    High level of competition (outside of Ali and Foreman)? Haha.

5. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Grossly under-rated, certainly amongst ESB circles.

Far too much is made of his two losses to Foreman- who in truth was taylor made to steamroller him (and most swarmers), Frazier was near enough completely shot by the return contest anyway, the way in which he kept rising from the canvas umpteen times against Foreman was couragous in the extreme (some would say silly!?). He possessed probably the biggest fighting heart of any HW who ever existed, was also a powerful puncher (fearsome left hook), hellishly awkward to fight against and good at evading punches. His prime also lasted longer than the general consensus suggests.

People do tend to forget how good his record was pre-Ali fight and the manner of most of those victories. Machen, Quarry, Bonavena (x2), Ellis (x2) and Chuvalo- some pretty impressive names to have on your resume. The depth of which: especially in terms of record against Top ranked contenders is certainly better than, say Foreman. FOTC vs Ali was the pinnicle- not too many fighters in history would have defeated Joe that night. He also gave him two other hellish fights, Manilla being extremely close before Futch wisely pulled Frazier out (with Ali exausted)

Frazier is at #6 on my all time list of Heavyweights. :good

6. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    I agree with most of what you are saying here. But for he does make my top 10 list although there are times I can place him as low as 11 and as high as 9.

There isnt much I can add to this but I do appreciate the fact that you pointed out that Frazier gets a pass for fighting in a competitive era. His losses to Foreman undermine his standings IMO especially the first one where he gets blown out in the most embarrasing fashion. Do I think he's overrated? Sometimes but if you don't acknowledge he's an ATG or at least a top 11 fighter then yes you are underrating him.

7. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    This is one of the most poorly written and misguided posts that I've seen on this forum. Is it a joke?

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think he is under rated, especialy relative to subsequent champions.

I am verry much a beleiver that the heavyweights of the 70s are over rated relative to other eras but looking at Frazier I only see substance.

10. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006

i thought it was common knowledge:huh . but he was followed around by a doctor in his later years. if you look in documentaries of the manilla fight you'll see this white guy in the background thats his doctor.

i know not very incriminating but i will find somthing

11. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    but he has somthing that wlad fears above all else....left hook:hi:

not just a left hook but maybe the greatest left hook in heavywieght history

you forget his hands speed his defence and non-stop offence look at byrd he is the purest boxer in the heavywieghts uses a jab and phillie roll to move and counter and is southpaw which is weak to the right hand, joe frazier is next to your lungs the whole fight he was only koed by foreman who manhandled him which wlad wasnt good at doing.

and this jab will keep him away??? he has fought ali,foreman,foster maybe the best jabbers at the tpo end of the scale of all time...i can tbelive you think that a JAB stops frazier

12. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    fraziers chin not that good!!!:think you act like "well everyone knows that huh" what an arrogant thing to say

13. Sakura

Sakura Boxing Addict banned

Nov 22, 2006
    Frasier is good fighter and i'll take him over many same size ATG fighters, but Lewis and Klitchkos are definetly to big to win.

If wlad fights...jab,jab and moving backwards or to the side..Frasier never reach him and he eat to much punches..

Wlads have much better and more effective jab than Foreman or anyone else,except Ali or Holmes.

14. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    the men who beat him wer men were big but stood in your way ali was fleet footed the first time and became much more flat footed and more a harder target to move away.

lewis was an amazing infighter wlad and vitali are not they are outside fighters launching the firearms form miles away...this would get beaten by a springing left hook.

15. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    cool i got some stuff

thisis an arcticle about fraziers health in an interview
    http://healthqa.stbernards.info/html_healthgate/html/0_137/13753.php
    Was your diabetes diagnosed while you were still actively boxing, and if so, how did it affect your athletic career?

I have monthly examinations and if I feel bad for any reason, I will see my doctor as soon as possible.

How did the high blood pressure affect your boxing?

I stay busy traveling around the country for personal appearances, card/trade shows, endorsements and speaking engagements. I enjoy making the fans happy, plus I think it does something for me. I love life and I love people.

What treatment did you receive originally for diabetes?

Micronase [A drug that stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin] and Minoxidal [a drug which relaxes small blood vessels].

What treatment do you receive now?

My condition today is great!I would like to fight against Evander Holyfield tomorrow. Today I weigh 230 lbs.--people tell me that I'm a "small piece of leather that is well put together." I've stayed on the same track I've been on since my boxing days, [getting] on the floor and [working out with the guys in the gym] to keep them fit and myself [too].
    This content is protected

Do you take any medication for your diabetes?

I have to be careful of what I eat. This is the only restriction that I can think of when it comes to diabetes.

Are there any special routines or restrictions that you follow as a result of your diabetes (i.e., special diet, regular check-ups, limitations on your physical activity, etc.)?

[No, it was diagnosed in 1988]. However, I did have high blood pressure ever since I started fighting.

Do you take any medication for your high blood pressure?

[A number, including:] Procardia [a calcium channel blocker that reduces normal artery pressure], Accupril [which reduces resistance in arteries], Clonidine [which relaxes and allows for the expansion of blood vessel walls], SlowK [a drug which treats potassium deficiency], and Catapres [which relaxes and expands blood vessel walls]. [But], I did not take any medication until 1988 for diabetes or high blood pressure.