Joe Frazier vs. Evander Holyfield

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by bxrfan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006

Seconded.

2. Woddy

Woddy Guest

Thirded.

3. Sardu

Sardu RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012 Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    After getting stinged by Commander Vander in the first three rounds Joe eventually starts to smoke midway into the battle. Holyfield is knocked down to one knee in the 6th. He does not have Ali's blazing hand speed or Foreman's crippling power to keep 'Smokin' Joe' at bay. In the 10th it is over cause' Holy is just too brave for his own good and is taking a pasting in a great but slightly one-sided fight.

Frazier KO 10 Holyfield (remember though that Joe had a very short prime so we are talking about the small window between 1968-71. At other times Holyfield could very well win).

4. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Southside Slugger Full Member

Dec 30, 2005
    You might very well be right, though I would point out that Holyfield has very underrated power (especially in his 'beefed up' state) and has more than enough ammunition to keep Joe honest. Frazier would not be able to wade in without consequences. Ask Mike Tyson about that.

5. Sardu

Sardu RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012 Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Great points Doppleganger. The Holyfield of the Bert Cooper fight would probably lose. And Frazier had some lackluster outings like against Joe Bugner in 1973 and he got steamrolled by Foreman in 1976. The Ali win in 1971 reall diminished Frazier. He won the war that time but absorbed too many casualties so to speak. Other versions like the excellent Holfield who whipped Tyson and Moorer could beat Frazier. However, Frazier was a much busier fighter than the version of Tyson that Holfield beat.

6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I love Evander Holyfield but Joe Frazier would take him apart .. better condition, better punch output, a bigger puncher ... In an incredible bout I see Joe pulling away ...

7. heavy_hands

heavy_hands Guest

this one is the perfect fight for frazier... he would win for sure...(and yes i will remember the fight with bert cooper) frazier was not just thicker,more compact ,harder puncher and naturally bigger than evander but he was probably one of the few guys who had better stamina, tougher mind and a big heart like evander. frazier wins by decision or late tko.
    evander and many fans would understand the difference between mike tyson and joe frazier in this fight.

8. gentleman jim

gentleman jim gentleman jim Full Member

Jan 15, 2010
    A fight for the ages but one I see Frazier winning. Joe at his best was good at slipping punches and firing back and Evander didn't have Ali's hanspeed or foot speed to land enough or get out of harms way. Plus Joe would be on top of Evander for the whole fight landing punishing body shots. Joe made body punching a priority...moreso than any fighter Holyfield ever faced and that would be a big factor in this bout. As the fight wears on Frazier's attack begins to tell on Holyfield whose stamina was strang

9. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    We can all agree Qawi was very similar to Frazier stylewise?Qawi had a bit better defence, Frazier was bigger.

Though Holyfield was rather green there.

Maybe we would see a continuation of Qawi-Holyfield 1 except this time Qawi would trade some of his defence for extra size and power.
    Might be bad news for Holy.

(I love to watch fighters that are build like a tank like Qawi)

10. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    GREAT PPV! I would take Frazier in one hell of a fight...

11. NVSemin

NVSemin Sugar Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Evander lead by the HOLY SPIRIT would win by TKO10-12

12. xRedx

xRedx Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Frazier by early stoppage. The pressure is too much for Holyfield.

13. WABCBoxer

WABCBoxer Member Full Member

May 7, 2013
    This would be a great fight to see! It could go either way. Too close to call.

14. WABCBoxer

WABCBoxer Member Full Member

May 7, 2013

Yes, there is a big difference, Holyfield has a shot at beating Frazier; Holyfield has no chance against a prime Tyson.

15. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    Also at some point in the Holyfield-Qawi fight, Qawi was shrugging and smiling towards Holyfield, anybody know exactly which round?