Joe Frazier vs. Evander Holyfield

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by bxrfan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    Holyfield has been tempted into a slugfest by less pressure than what Frazier brings. He'll do well even so, but Frazier's workrate wins the day. Cracking fight.

2. heavy_hands

heavy_hands Guest

the difference is that evander would have in front of him a man with a tough mind like hell, with super stamina who would keep working the body in the late rounds, and would get stronger and stronger mentally , tyson would be a little ***** after of the round 6 when he landed every combo like mad and he got frustrated..:hi:

3. XCalibur79

XCalibur79 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 13, 2015
    Man this is a tough one. These are two warriors that never backed away from anybody or anything, neither knows the meaning of the word quit. This is a blood bath.

I think Holyfield has the edge in durability, Frazier hit a bit harder. I don't see a knockout here, this fight goes the distance.

Holyfield is a good counter puncher, but Frazier would definitely keep coming. If you are going to beat Frazier, you better hit hard. Holyfield didn't have quite the power to stop a behemoth like Joe, so he'd be putting him back all night. Frazier only had one direction, straight ahead, but with those head movements he could avoid a lot of hits.

It honestly could go either way, probably come down to how well Holyfield could pick Smokin Joe off on the way in. I tend to think he could and get a narrow decision. Either way this is a classic.

4. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Prime Frazier wins this one. In close he out works Holy for the win over 15 rounds.

5. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Holyfield UD or late tko

6. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Frazier. It would be a war though. I think Frazier would get inside and work the body and head. Holyfield would try to land uppercuts. Frazier would take some punishment via the uppercuts but would outwork Holyfield in the trenches for a decision.

7. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I like Frazier in a tough one.

8. GGGcrawford

GGGcrawford New Member Full Member

May 4, 2015
    Definetly frazier, holyfield isnt as good inside, and fraziers dealt with much better dancing with ali than hllyfield could do, evander might try and clinch alot, and i see frazier slamming in alot of good hits every time he catches him

9. Phil_Ivey_76

Phil_Ivey_76 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2013
    A great fight! A FKN WAR!!!

I'd go for Frazier late stoppage.

10. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  11. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Joe late rd tko

12. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    It would probably be one of the greatest fights ever. Two of my favorites and it's hard to pick a winner. Holyfield would have a 3" height advantage and a 4 1/2" reach advantage. Their weight would be close but Holyfield would look like the bigger man.

Holyfield had quicker hands and feet. Holyfield had the better chin. They both had good stamina. Frazier was the harder puncher but Holyfield could hurt anybody.

Frazier was only stopped by Foreman x2 (LKOby2 and LKOby5) and Ali (LKOby14 in their 3rd fight). Frazier went 1-2 vs. Ali but never beat Foreman. Holyfield was only stopped by Bowe (LKOby8 in their 3rd fight) and Toney (LKOby8 15 days before his 41st birthday). Holyfield went 1-2 vs. Bowe but never beat Toney, who he only fought once.

Frazier was 29-0 (25) overall, 10-0 (8KO) in World Title Fights, and 3-0 (2) vs. IBHOF members Jimmy Ellis, Bob Foster, and Muhammad Ali going into the first Foreman fight. He was 29 years old. He was stopped in the 2nd round by Foreman and in the 5th round of their rematch.

Holyfield was 28-0 (22) overall, 10-0 (7) in World Title Fights at CW and HW, and 4-0 (1) vs. IBHOF members Qawi x2, Foreman, and Holmes when he fought Bowe for the first time. He was 30 years old. He lost a hard fought 12 round decision to Bowe but beat him in the rematch.

Frazier was 205 1/2 for the first Ali fight. He was 224 in the second Foreman fight (so was Foreman) but was overweight.

Holyfield was 208 vs. Foreman and 205 vs. Bowe (first fight) but he was 217 for the second Bowe fight. Holyfield weighed in at 218 vs. Stewart (first fight) but was closer to 210 for most of his fights back in those days. I do know he was wearing pants and a hat for the 217 weigh-in in 1993 (Bowe rematch).

Anyway, Holyfield is going to be the bigger man in the ring... PEDs or whatever anybody wants to say, doesn't matter. What matters is the end result. He was ripped at 217 vs. Bowe in 1993. Maybe he used, maybe he didn't... he never failed a drug test.

13. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I think it goes 15 rounds. I think Holyfield jumps on Frazier early and rocks him but by round 3 they are fighting even. I think it goes back and forth but eventually Holyfield starts to listen to his corner and utilizes his advantages in height, reach, speed, and footwork better. We all know Holyfield loves a good throw down and this will keep Frazier in the fight. Frazier will get in some good shots and rocks Holyfield but this will also allow Holyfield to land some good shots because let's face it... Holyfield can give and take very well.

I'll take Holyfield by very close decision. Maybe Frazier wins the rematch.

14. BoxingFanMike

BoxingFanMike Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Wow, this is one of the few fights you could guarantee would be worth the $$$$
    Neither guy would quit, and I think they are closer in size than people might think, Holyfield taller, Frazier broader. And Holyfield was not naturally as big and strong, Joe was a natural, non-weight trained 205 lbs man, that is a big dude for 5'10/5'11.
    I actually like this going the distance, and I would pick Joe by a close decision, over 10, 12, or 15 rounds. I don't think Evander could push him off as effectively as George Foreman did, George was a big man, and was a freakish strong big man at that.
    Evander is a more complete fighter, (i.e. 2 hands with good power in both), I think Joe is actually a bit harder to hit when he rolls in, and he just doesn't stop. He was still going at Foreman after all those knockdowns.
    I don't think either guy is getting stopped, both had good chins, if you judge Frazier by getting stopped by Foreman, there are a lot of fighters out there with glass chins..... Holyfield was basically done as a fight vs. Toney, and he was exhausted vs Bowe III, rather than anything else. He took huge shots from Bowe and Lewis, and of course Tyson.
    As I said, I like Frazier by decision, but I could see Holyfield taking one if they met a few times.
    Only fighters I would consistently pick against Joe are those whose size/strength totally negates his style, beyond that, he is a rough night for anyone.
    Man, I hate to pick against Evander though....