Joe Frazier vs Jack Dempsey ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by turbotime, Jun 27, 2012.

1. turbotime

turbotime Hall Of Famer Full Member

May 4, 2012
    Was just playing this fight on fight night champion, who ya like in that? The guy using Jack whooped my ass pretty easily and I was using Frazier.

Think the fight would be close and competitive? I like Frazier a lot in this one.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I back Jack.:good

3. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Dempsey as the harder hitter would have a good advantage here......this kind of fight is decided by the guy with the higher power......and that guy is Jack here.

4. DaveK

DaveK Vicious & Malicious Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    First off, fnc is a joke, piece of **** game made by people who have a pedestrian knowledge of boxing, much less history...

That being said I think Frazier whips him. Dempsey is dangerous and makes it interesting, but he loses by inside counters and being met with equal pressure.

I'm not totally married to this pick though... I won't argue to a bitter end about it. Jack could hurt Joe, no doubt.

5. turbotime

turbotime Hall Of Famer Full Member

May 4, 2012
    I like your style. A lot of the time people think Joe is just some caveman slugger. The guy had skills and great head movement. Would love to see how Dempsey would react to it.

And yeah, **** FNC, took me for ever to beat that idiot Isaac Frost :-(

6. MRBILL

MRBILL Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Insane fight to be made........ I like '69 Frazier over '19 Dempsey................ Joe gets Jack after 6 rds.......

MR.BILL

NOTE:

Folks claim Quarry gave Frazier hell in '69 and, he did... But Quarry was peaked, hungry and well into his 190s when he lost to Frazier on ABC TV.......That '69 version of Jerry Quarry would've given Dempsey hell in '19 Toledo---via a time machine.......

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Much as it might hurt a lot of people to acknowledge it, Dempsey would almost certainly win this.

I am sure we will see a lot of honourable attempst to rationalize why Frazier should win, but most of them will involve him taking a horendous one sided shelacking for the first few rounds, and somehow being in a state to continue.

8. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    Wow almost certainly is quite a bold choice of words .

I do see the first two to three rounds being hugely important as how Frazier copes with Dempsey's undoubted quick start is very possibly the make or break of the fight . this fight is one which i favour Dempsey if the fights goes no further than four , but i do agree that would also depend on what state Frazer would be in after those first opening four rounds .In a trilogy though i cant see Dempsey winning 3-0 but i would not rule it out either a hell of a match-up

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Why does everyone assume Dempsey fades out after 4 rounds?:huh And ,after that ,Frazier starts" Smokin". Slow , crude Bonavena ,traded with Joe twice and never left his feet. Mathis went into the 11th. Dempsey has superior power ,and it is two fisted , he cleans Frazier's clock imo.

10. frosty36

frosty36 Active Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I'd favour frazier to win this fight

11. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    i dont presume dempsey tires but i do presume that joe does start to smoke . i do not presume nor did i say that dempsey hits the canvas so i do not see any relavence in the bonavena reference though i do think it is possible that both of these greats may hit the canvas but if it does not end in the first four that does not mean that frazier stops dempsey . i said before that i favour dempsey but i would not bet on it .

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I had to put my comment somewhere I just chose yours . No attack was meant.

13. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

The faster starting Dempsey could poleaxe Frazier within three rounds or so. If not,I take Joe to put on pressure to force jack back and eventually grind him down.

14. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    What's all this 'Dempsey has better/superior power', based on what exactly? Taking 1000 punches to KO out the former weight lifter turned tough man champs in Firpo and Willard, aka the heavy bags? He did fail to put away the much smaller Gibbons and Prime Miske, yet his power is too much for Frazier? I don't think so

This is a battle of left hookers and the best left hook wins, not just the most powerful but the quickest and best timing with the most variety. I think Frazier is the better left hooker of the 2 and bigger and stronger so he could back Jack up. Defence and speed wise, it's pretty much even.

Dempsey probably get's off first against a slow starting Frazier, who would take over after 3 rounds and breaks Dempsey down to stop him around the 6th-8th. Although Frazier could start fast on occasion against fellow left hookers, see Bob Foster, hooking with Frazier does play into his hands

15. Diagoras

Diagoras Active Member Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Fast starting Dempsey stops Frazier.