Joe Frazier vs Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Sep 14, 2020.

Who wins and how

1. Frazier KO

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Frazier TKO

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Frazier UD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Frazier MD

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dempsey KO

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. Dempsey TKO

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Dempsey UD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Dempsey MD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I have no clue

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Who wins the battle of the Titans? Does Frazier get the Willard treatment or does Dempsey get the Terry Daniels treatment?

William Walker likes this.
  2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    After round 5 Frazier,,before that Dempsey. Can't confidently predict a victor either way

3. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Frazier's too big and strong for Dempsey. If they were the same size, I'd call it a toss-up. Maybe with modern nutrition, etc. (not meaning steroids), Dempsey gets bigger and stronger? Even so, Frazier was more relentless than Dempsey. Dempsey needed to back off and re-group sometimes, but Joe wouldn't give him any room. Joe never backed off. It was not in his DNA. So on second thought, I guess I favor Joe even if their weights are comparable. Joe's relentless crowding would force Jack out of his comfort zone and eventually wear him down. Jack would be forced to fight on Joe's terms, and I don't think he could stand up to the pressure.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I don't think Frazier could take Dempsey's power. But if he lands enough he won't have to. Joe was often a slow starter. I like Demspey early or Frazier late.

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Frazier is too big and strong? Frazier is easily pushed around the ring. Dempsey is slightly taller and has looks to have an inch or so in reach. I'd give Dempsey the edge in durability, power, power in both hands ect...

It's a slugger war, neither guy is defensive. In that case I lean toward the guy with better power, more ways to deliver it, and and better durability. Frazier's crowding might make it look like Frazier vs Quarry, but Jack hits harder. I do think if Dempsey doesn't get the job done inside 5 rounds, he's going to end up the loser. Frazier I think would land pretty easily.

I think its close to 50/50.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Go back and forth on this but slightly leaning towards Dempsey even though Frazier is my favorite fighter. I'd be rooting for Frazier to prove me wrong though!

7. CharlieFirpo85

CharlieFirpo85 Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2020
    A slightly favor for Dempsey IMO. Dempsey definatelly knows how to handle a brawl^^
    But anyway...maybe 60% Dempsey / 40% Frazier

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Dempsey starts too fast for Frazier.

You could make an argument for Frazier being the greater fighter, but Dempsey would probably win.

9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I want to say Frazier by TKO but im not sure. I think Dempsey may hurt Frazier a bit in the early rounds but I say Joe comes on and stops him late.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I think both were too tough, too strong, and had too good of stamina. Dempsey would trouble Frazier early, but Frazier would take control of the fight and win an SD. This would be an excellent fight.

11. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Dempsey like everyone else, was a fan of the tremendous frazier...this guy loved boxing, and became an animal similar in mentality to dempsey...dempsey must be favored...two handed power with versatile footwork

William Walker likes this.
  12. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Any 190 pounder walking into Frazier with his hands low is getting slept brutally. . This match-up is not competitive. . Frazier left hooks his dome clean off.
    Jack Dempsey did not have the defense or the style required to deal with Frazier. Frazier was bigger . faster and attacked with better offence and defense.

13. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I'd pick Frazier, but he's not faster than Dempsey.

14. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Oh ya, he said something about the FOTC like, "I would have beat Ali, Frazier will." That almost makes it sound as if he thought Frazier was greater.

15. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    tisk tisk my man; where'd he get the idea Frazier was bigger? he was shorter

70sFan865 likes this.