Joe Frazier vs Larry Holmes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Theron, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
  2. luke

luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2012
    very true, but he slipped and blocked holmes jab for the whole first round, trying to imitate his father, imagaine what a smaller frazier would do, its just basic boxing science, jabber movers have trouble with swarmers.

3. Danmann

Danmann Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I'd root for Frazier, better person, but I would pick Holme,s slight edge. Frazier did not have that one punch ko power attributed to him by some, unless he really got chance to get set and dig in. The edge I give Holmes is slight, but Holmes was tough, and strong. Frazier's downfall would be how easy he was to hit. Ali is more famous, on more lists, but had no punch. Holmes could punch a bit.

4. MagnaNasakki

MagnaNasakki Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Frazier would struggle with Holmes, and Joe agreed with that sentiment.

I've always asked him what fight with another great heavyweight in history he would have been most loathe to take, and he always answered me, in private, with Larry Holmes, because that jab would 'hurt'.

To me, that is in fact the key. Ali beat Joe up and busted him up, but had a hard time keeping his respect with solid power connects, which is why Joe gave him so much trouble.

Holmes was more stationary, on one hand, but on the other, had more sting in all his punches. In round 8, I believe, of Ali vs. Frazier II, Ali lands a TRIPLE jab. 1,2,3 jabs, fully extended, flush, as Ali is retreating to the ropes. Joe's head snaps back, and he keeps coming. If those 3 jabs were from Holmes, Joe wouldn't have walked through them.

If Smoke can get at Holmes consistently, he has a great shot to win. But I give Larry the edge because he could, in fact, hurt at deter Joe at a distance. Joe would struggle more boxing with Larry than he did with Ali and other boxers, because Larry was a PUNISHING opponent to face at range. Not just difficult, punishing.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    By the half way mark Frazier's face would look like it had put in a bees nest .

6. MadcapMaxie

MadcapMaxie Guest

Against THAT Frazier, Holmes would have a field day and would probably stop Frazier before the final bell. Bad matchup.

7. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    This is an amazing match up ... prime for prime I like Joe over 15 ... Holmes has a better shot over 12 but I still favor Joe ..

8. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009

Just like Muhammad Ali,Holmes would have far more trouble with Joe Frazier than he would with George Foreman.

9. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009

With all respect to Smokin' Joe,whom I've always admired,what the bloody hell was going through his mind when he signed his kid up to meet Larry Holmes ??? He was nothing more than a novice at this point in time. I've always maintained that Gerry Cooney was woefully ill prepared for Holmes,but I think Frazier Jr was even more so.

10. luke

luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2012

400k payday back then was alot, i dont know either, frazier was a good fighter though some decent names on his resume, would be a belt holder 5 years down the line easy.

11. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009

Marvis had n't beaten anyone of note. As much as I liked Joe Bugner,he was fat and over the hill when Marvis fought him in his last fight before Holmes.

12. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    Prime for prime I favor Joe substantially, but at this stage it's a drubbing in favor of Holmes.

13. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    prime for prime, frazier.

14. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Holmes wins. Frazier wasn't a good boxer. He was behind a over weight Mathis, and was down early to Ellis. Holmes would not wilt the way those two did.

15. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Peak for Peak Id favor Joe by late stoppage.

We saw Larry Holmes get hurt and dropped a few times but he was always able to recover. Usually it was one big shot that decked him. Holmes had a huge heart.

With Frazier different ballgame. Joe is going to get inside and punish Holmes`s body. Consistant body punishment over 8- 10 rounds is going to cut Larry`s legs and recuperative powers down.

Holmes was a great fighter but I dont believe he had quite Ali`s level of chin not to mention Ali`s unreal ability to take body punches.

If the fight is anytime after Manila Holmes probably wins a comfortable decision.