Joe Frazier vs Larry Holmes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Theron, Sep 19, 2012.

1. xRedx

xRedx Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2012
    A million and a half?! Thats a alot of money for only 21 fights. He must have gotten alot from the Holmes and Tyson fights.

2. BoxingFanPhil

BoxingFanPhil Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Yes sir.

3. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Ill say one thing larry was more of a consummate professional than ali, and more dedicated to the fighting business. As great as ali was he had the chance to be even greater. Saying that the layoff didn't exactly help him

4. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Want to know something. I don't like Joe Frazier's style. I think he's overrated as a heavyweight. H2H and greatness. I actually find his style kinda boring to watch. Yes, really. He's a come forward pressure fighter, who might be extremely exciting to the majority. But that, "bobbing and weaving", throwing mainly left hooks doesn't do anything for me. Not enough variation for me. Perhaps, it's his limited long range ability.

I actually think the variety from Bowe and Holyfield in their 1st fight.....The skill level combined by both far outdid anything Ali and Frazier produced in the FOTC or Manila.

5. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Alis long range ability more than made up for that in the fight, it was a perfect clash of styles. Your right, holyfield and bowe 1 had exciting elements too, but in my opinion it wasnt quite the same. Plus dont forget the FOTC was the real deal 15 rounds

6. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Ali was mainly effective on the outside. Up close was Frazier's range. Once Frazier got inside, he'd look to go to work, with Ali usually looking to hold in that range.

Bowe and Holyfield were both brilliant at long range. Once they dropped inside on each other, they fought it out. The variety they both showed at any range with both hands was superb.

People might well disagree with this.....I think the historical significance of the Ali-Frazier fights - FOTC or Manila - might well prove to be smoke and mirrors when they come to favoring them over Bowe-Holyfield I for skill and variety.

7. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I think the thriller in Manila is the biggest war in heavyweight history, especially considering the conditions. And these were two fighters who were past their primes

8. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    I don't disagree. It was brutal in serious conditions. It was a high paced fierce war throughout. But my point is that Bowe-Holyfield was the same but with more skill and variety.

9. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I wouldn't exactly say more skill, but I'd call it more fundamental and orthodox. Each to their own I suppose

10. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    I'd say more variety of punches from Holyfield and Bowe, inside and outside. It's actually say this is fact rather than opinion.

11. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Joe Frazier beats Larry Holmes peak vs peak. Joe did have a lull in his career where he wasn't the same but I do believe that the form he found in Manila in 1975 would have been too much for Larry Holmes as well.

Its definitely a tough fight and it would go into the later rounds but Joe Frazier had to be at or near his best to beat Holmes. Any less than his best and Holmes takes it.

12. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Holyfield and bowe were a lot more wild and scrappy with their execution than both ali and frazier, and I'm even thinking holyfield was ready to give in after the knockdown, but bowe couldn't finish him

13. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Give in?.....Hardly. You're now saying things to lower the level on Bowe-Holyfield I. Ali or Frazier could not have came back any better than Holyfield if they were in a similar position during a fight.

Bowe and Holyfield were within range and putting in some hurtful bombs, inside and outside. Wild? Any fight fought at that pace is going to be wild to a certain extent.

14. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Holmes made Foreman retire.
    Larry was just to durable and to much of a punch variation combined with elusive footwork to lose to Frazier.

15. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Holyfield nor bowe took as much punishment as ali and frazier did, I wouldn't say it was at the same pace as the fight of the century. We will agree to disagree but in my opinion the fight of the century was the better fight with the better fighters