Joe Frazier vs. Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Cheese, Jan 26, 2010.

1. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Tyson KOs him in round 1.

moneytheman12 and Toney F*** U like this.
  2. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Frazier would never get to land on that big target. He'd get punished when trying to make his way in.

3. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Any version of Lewis beats Frazier

4. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Um what?

5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    The problem I'm having here is Lewis' chin. Granted, he had a better chin than a lot of people here think...but Oliver nor Hasim were Joe Frazier. Nowhere near the same galaxy as Joe.

To fair, it does seem looking back on the videos that both kos of Lewis came from fairly lucky punches, or at least punches that Lewis was being too cocky to avoid. But Joe wouldn't have stopped at just one punch. He would have just kept coming. And he didn't have too much of a problem finishing people once hurt.

I also should mention LL's handling of Tua, who was certainly no joke as a puncher. That was a pretty darn impressive display. That might indeed be an indicator that a fight between him and Joe wouldn't exactly be a shut out.

I just don't know if Lennox could take the repeated shots of Joe Frazier for long. The Steward-era would be patient and cautious....but I wonder if that approach would ultimately serve him well.

I can't see the pre-Steward Lewis doing anything but getting mowed over.

louis54 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  6. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I might favor Lewis but tbh Lewis having a better chin, gave me a chuckle when I first read it. :lol:

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Lewis for me, absolutely. TKO around 4-8. That uppercut will be kryptonite.

8. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Whadya mean what Swag? :)

I explained why I believe that-as many do-please give me specific questions & objections if you disagree.
    Reply to something I said so I know "what" your what is about, thank you.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    FFS. Lewis wins big.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  10. rinsj

rinsj Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2007
    I wouldn't call those "lucky punches" Lewis got stopped with. It was McCall who won the first round prior to stopping Lewis in the 2nd. And in the first Rahman fight, Lewis was nailed after getting complacent and arrogant. As for Lewis' handling of Tua...David came in way too bulky to mount any kind of relentless offense. Sort of like Andy Ruiz Jr. in his second fight with Joshua. This would not be the case with a FOTY version of Frazier who was a force to be reckoned with.

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I agree.

rinsj likes this.
  12. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Lewis's chin was not the glass many make it out to be but it wasn't iron either. Certainly not on the level of Frazier. The blows that knocked him out courtesy of Rahman and McCall were a far cry from the monster shots Frazier took from Foreman some of which he took without even going down. Tbh speaking of shots Frazier took without going down, their were shots/combos Frazier took from Ali, and Foreman remaining upright, which would've taken Lewis's head off imho

I also don't think he could've endured the punishment either Frazier nor Ali did in Thrilla in Manila if he was forced in a position (imo he wouldn't be). His chin simply wasn't on the level of either man.

So to sum up, even though I favor Lewis over Frazier (I'm never counting Smoke out though), I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest Lewis's chin was anywhere even near that of Frazier's.

13. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Honestly- Mcall and Rahman probably don’t hit that much less then Foreman. Frazier probably would’ve been stopped a lot sooner in Lennox’s era in that fight against George.

14. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Wow, my friend...all respect but I'm not sure on that. Lewis probably wasn't particularly far in his right hand.

15. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Absolutely not, though of course LL was a pretty awe-inspiring fighter at his best.