Joe Frazier vs. Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Cheese, Jan 26, 2010.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I said the same thing! :lol: Honestly didn't even know how to respond to it.

2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Rahman did have a really good knockout record. But Foreman was just off the scale.

JohnThomas1 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Who did Foreman KO? lol no hyperbole answer it.

4. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Let's see. He stopped the undefeated Frazier coming off the best win of his career (maybe the greatest win in heavyweight history) in dominating fashion and followed it up by stopping another top 4 heavyweight of the era, also in dominating fashion. He also stopped a peak Lyle, while he (Foreman) was at mental rock bottom, in his first fight back in 2 years, and knocked out undefeated lineal champion Michael Moorer 20 years later, just to give a few names.

Your turn. Who did Rahman and McCall KO (with the exception of Lewis) that come even close to Foreman's victims let alone in the matter Foreman did?

5. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Lewis was not iron nor glass, true.
    But the 2 times he was stopped-one likely prematurely-needs to be considered with all the large, big hitters he faced.
    And he was not a defensive master who did not take many shots.

Frazier fought one guy (twice) who was on the level or hitting harder than a bucnh Lewis faced, & the best you can say is e got up many times during their first fight.
    I have no indication that Lewis would have been knocked down as often or not been able to get up-but it is ambiguous.
    Ali did not hit nearly as hard, so I cannot say that Lewis would have been stopped.

BUT I do think Frazier has a greater ability to absorb punishment below the level of what would knock him down.

But also Frazier was taken off his feet a few times by lesser punchers-Mike Bruce, Bonavena his fairly hard but if as he said in his book if Frazier did not clinch he would have been stopped due to suffering a third knock down.

I once read a line by sportswriter Matthew Wallace that "Lewis wobbles when the air conditioning hits him" lol!
    But besides the 2 stoppages, I do not recall that being true.
    Some think Frazier might have been stopped in round 2 of the second Ali-Frazier fight if the referee did not give an untoward break to Frazier.

Frazier could ship tons of damage very well, but could not take the same single blows as some guys. Like Lewis I think.
    But he also would not likely have been so lax in preparing at altitude for the Rahman fight...

When you say "Foreman remaining upright" I dunno if you mean in Manilla.