Joe Frazier vs Michael Moorer

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dyna, Apr 21, 2013.

1. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    Who and how?

Moorer was a southpaw and an extremely strong lhw puncher, so strong even at hw he was still a very hard puncher.
    He didn't have a great chin though and his mentality was lacking (Not listening to his trainer and doing the exact opposite)

Frazier would always try to come, a good chin and a great stamina.
    There's a problem for him though, he was legally blind in his left eye.
    Against orthodox fighters this is a problem but against southpaw you have to face right hooks you can't or can barely see coming.

[yt]c0-WR3qcWp4[/yt]
    [yt]x9l_RrjjTMc[/yt]

[yt]ctKAGKVpCUU[/yt]
    [yt]S-JBMB3Nl1A[/yt]

I personally think they can both get stopped by each other, early or late.
    And that somebody will be stopped.
    Frazier his biggest problems will be Moorer his southpaw stance and his left eye.

If you've never faced a southpaw before and you can't see on your left side, it can take just one right hook to put your lights out.
    The punches you don't see coming are always the show stoppers.

Moorer his biggest problems would be his chin and mentality.
    Both of them cost him the Foreman fight.

2. dyna

Jun 1, 2012
    I'm fairly certain Tua hit a lot harder than Frazier

Oh god, why didn't I see my mistake

3. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    At least just as hard:D

4. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    Moorer gets his ribs caved in, then his chin. He liked to use his high guard when under pressure and that would cost him against Frazier.

5. nikrj

nikrj Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2011
    :lol:

6. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    As soon as Joe warms up,Moorer gets stopped. Moorer never faced anyone who would have pressurised him like Frazier would.

7. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Frazier would stop Frazier when he gets going, before Frazier gets going, I'm infinitely and paradoxically certain of it.

8. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Frazier ****s Moorer up, can Moorer take what Ali took?
    Can Moorer take those left hooks that Foreman shrugged off?

**** No

Moorer is getting planked. The closest thing to a Frazier type fighter that MM fought was Tua

9. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    he had Tua, kind of

10. dyna

Jun 1, 2012
    I do think Frazier first has to survive the right hook and the southpaw stance, being blind in your left eye against a good right hook is a very big disadvantage.

Moorer will never take what Ali took, he'd go down much sooner.

I give Frazier the biggest chance to come with the V, but Moorer might pull the upset.

Styles make fights and the southpaw stance against a fighter who barely/ or can't see(s) with his left eye is at a very big disadvantage.

11. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    :bbb
    I simply dont think Moorer can fight a disciplined fight and escape unscathed for 12-15 rounds against a guy like Smokin Joe. Same reason why i pick Tyson to Ko Moorer very early. He has no size advtange and i dont think much of his power at heavyweight.

Moorer probably has a better chance against Ali than he does against Frazier

12. Anubis

Anubis Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
    The left hook to the body is an excellent weapon against the southpaw stance. I like Joe to get underneath Moorer's right jab, and continually belabor that body. Hustle, heart, power, resilience and conditioning do the rest. Michael didn't really have a heavyweight chin like Holyfield. Evander decked him half a dozen times, Foreman and Tua each put him to sleep with a single shot, and he also got dropped by Frazier protege Bert Cooper. [Consider this: MM is the same age now that Foreman was when George knocked him out in 1994.]

13. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    Moorer would not do well in this fight. He was almost stopped by a lighter punching cruiserweight Bert Copper who was similar to Frazier. It is just a question of how long it would last before Frazier knocks him out.

14. Shawn Kemp

Shawn Kemp Guest

Was Moorer in his prime against Tua? According to people who knew him he became a drunk after Foreman beat him. Stop trying to compare people at their worse.