Joe Frazier vs. Nicolai Valuev

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vince Voltage, May 4, 2017.

1. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    How does Smokin' Joe do against a man slightly more than a foot taller than him? Don't just give me a knee-jerk Frazier pick....think about it a bit. Talk it over with your wives, meditate on it, write in your journals....and then get back to me.

GALVATRON likes this.
  2. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Joe Frazier by UD.

I think he would obviously have trouble reaching Valuev`s head but Joe could get low inside and score to the body. At this best Frazier he underated quickness and his workrate was exceptional.

3. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
  4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Joe works away to the body, he'll probably get caught a good few times coming in by NV but nothing to really faze him. It'll go the distance and valuev will have been hurt more than Joe. A wide unanimous Dec for frazier.

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Valuev if i remember was pretty uncoordinated.
    Frazier was a fighting machine at his best or as Merchant described him a truth machine.
    Valuev doesnt make it too the final bell.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  6. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Plenty of evidence to support your Frazier selection but this is a bold statement?

I could see Frazier getting stopped if he really pressed the issue, which he no doubt would. On the other hand, Joe was tough enough to overwhelm the monster and win a decision. Still on the fence, but deem Valuev getting KO'd unlikely.

7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Me too .Valuev had a very decent chin Buster Mathis gave Frazier an interesting evening, going into the 11th and he was level on the referee's card and had taken 4 rds on another. Frazier by hard fought decision and he would be well f*cked at the end of it!

8. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    The more I think about this one I am leaning towards Frazier by decision. When we are taking him at his best (Ali 1?) this is a man who really was willing to die in the ring, flawed and disadvantaged though he was, brings too much fight for 'Sugar' Nikolai Valuev to handle. The closest thing Valuev has experienced would be pensioner Holyfield and that was hardly convincing. Valuev is an example of a man who maybe didn't belong in boxing in an ideal world, but found he could make a good living capitalising on his huge physical stature. Joe Frazier on the other hand, was born, bred and built to fight.

Frazier UD

9. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    JF UD. In a very cagey and ugly fight.

10. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    This content is protected

Valuev didn't have an easy night here against Dominquez, and of course lost to the much smaller Chagaev. Barring a fluke shot from a clubbing right hand... Smokin' Joe takes it.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    At nearly 230lbs Chagaev was still 20lbs heavier than a prime Frazier. Frazier is streets ahead of Valuev for greatness but that's a lost of man for a 205lbs, under 6 foot guy to have bearing down on you for 12 rds.

12. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    No reason JF couldn't add some extra bulk for this one... He probably would.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He added bulk in later fights, ok it wasn't muscle but his height precluded him adding any significant weight imo

14. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
  15. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Still would help him against Valuev. Chagaev wasn't exactly chiseled with muscle himself.