Joe Frazier vs Rocky Marciano : who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by RazorHandz, Apr 30, 2013.

1. RazorHandz

RazorHandz Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2010
    This content is protected

2. Capaedia

Capaedia Consumate Newb Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Two inside pressure fighters, one of them is bigger, more accurate, faster and stronger. He just had the misfortune to come along in a much stronger era.

Frazier backs Marciano up(!) and that's why he eventually stops him. Heart and determination won't pull him through because Frazier matches him in that regard.

I don't think the power difference being in Marciano's favour is a foregone conclusion, either.

kidcocoa likes this.
  3. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    The slower starting Frazier gets dropped in the first couple of rounds,but recovers and in a seesawing bout,cuts Rocky up so badly that the referee stops the fight in Smokin' Joe's favour around the eighth or ninth.

A non stop all action fight.

4. heavy_hands

heavy_hands Guest

i said it 100 times and i will repeat it 100 times, joe frazier was better than marciano and he was naturally 20 pounds bigger(not fat, frame,) he was the thicker man, he was faster, more skilled, he had better defence(yes absolutely better defence) he had better body work, he was more accurate puncher, he was better body puncher, he had as much heart and stamina and frazier simply destroyed every guy under 200 pounds, marciano fought wars with walcott or charles,even an ancient moore dropped him, frazier demolished bob foster like nothing, saying that rocky had a better chin than frazier is simply laughable, simply frazier faced a harder puncher, stronger men and better men than rocky did

5. heavy_hands

heavy_hands Guest

sir, this comment is the pure truth ;)

kidcocoa likes this.
  6. gentleman jim

gentleman jim gentleman jim Full Member

Jan 15, 2010
    It would be a war but Frazier would prevail due to his speed. He was faster on the attack and he whipped his shots in faster than Rocky did. plus Joe was not a one handed fighter like many claim. When he chose to, he had a damaging right which he could put to good use like he did against Quarry and he had an underrated jab which he actually used effectively against Ali in thier first fight. Also Joe's bobbing and weaving would make it hard for Rocky to score with his own right hand and I don't see him putting Joe down for the count. Even George Foreman couldn't do that and that was against a past prime Frazier. What I do see happening is Frazier, after going thru hell in the first few rounds begins to gradually and consistently beat Rocky to the punch with his speed. Sometime late in the fight...maybe around the 13th or 14th round Joe really begins to land the hook with increasingly devestating effect probably forcing the referee to stop the fight either due to cuts or by calling a tko on a battered but valiant Marciano. If you couldn't stop Frazier you were in for a long night and I just don't see Rocky stopping Joe. Hurting him? Yes. Stopping him? No.

7. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Frazier said only 2 men that he would admit could beat him, Louis and Marciano who he was a big fan of and I agree with Joe Frazier but a prime Frazier gives any man hell, not he version that fought Foreman or Ali in 2&3 but the FOTC Frazier goes out with a big bang or takes you

8. TheSouthpaw

TheSouthpaw Champion Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    The Rock just wasnt busy enough top keep Joe off him, Just the wrong style for Frazier to expose...Joe smothers him pumpin in lookin for those bigshots ( That Left Hook) I do see him making Rocky miss and Joe makin him pay for it evertime...I say Joe KO around the &th or 8th

9. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    No.

e was better because e was twenty pounds eavier. It is debatable, but I tend to aree.

But pound-for-pound - Marciano was as scary or scarier. Between 175 and 190lbs tere is only a andful of boxers on is level.

10. Garrus

Garrus Big Boss 1935-2014 Full Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Gotta go with Joe here.

It would be interesting how well he can take Rocky's right hand (doubly so for Marciano on how he fares against Frazier's left hook).

11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Going with Marciano here.

For one, Joe was not, as someone stated, stronger than Marciano, not a by a long shot. And Joe certainly did not hit harder.

One of the greatest all-time wars would ensue but my money is on Marciano. Stronger, harder hitter, at least as resilient.

I would sell most everything dear to be front and center on this one.

12. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Then no one is

The only thing I'm going to say is the idea that this is a stylistic advantage for Frazier is an error in judgement. If Frazier wins it's because he's of a slightly higher quality. Not because of styles.

13. xRedx

xRedx Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Frazier would give Marciano the Ali treatment (FOTC).

14. TheSouthpaw

Jul 21, 2012

15. TheSouthpaw

Jul 21, 2012

I sgree.:good