Joe Frazier vs Rocky Marciano : who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by RazorHandz, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    For the reasons discussed above I think Frazier defeats Marciano. I think it's part of the natural progession of a vibrant sport that was continuing to progress and attracting some of the best athletes.

However, this is a far cry from believing that necessarily means Smoking Joe, as great as he was, was a greater champion. Marciano beat everyone put in front of him. He maximized the training, nutrition and overall circumstances available to him I suspect that a bigger, faster Marciano would likely prevail. This creates the quandary when comparing era's vs H2H fights

2. LXEX55

LXEX55 Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    I picture it like the first Frazier-Quarry fight, but in this instance, Rocky would not wear down like Jerry did. Instead he would go on to score a TKO or KO. I believe Marciano could hit with both hands (Louis commented on how good Rocky's left hook was), while Frazier was primarily a left hooker. Big edge of Joe on skin toughness, Joe would swell but rarely cut.

3. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    :good good points there and I agree with them all

4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Frazier on points.

Too big for Rocky.

5. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
  6. turnip

turnip Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 19, 2015
    My god this would be awesome total mayhem. Both similar buzzsaw attack both have excellent stamina and are physically and mentally hard as they come.I think possibly the rock lands his Suzi Q short right the one that took out Walcott that would be good night Joe but could go the other way real 50-50 .all I know is It would be fantastic.

7. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    You have yo go with Joe but it would be a dangerous fight as Rocky fought small, had a terrific chin and without question could hit .. if Joe fought stupid Rocky could certainly catch him .. still, if I had to bet I'd go with Joe by late stoppage ..

8. FlyingFrenchman

FlyingFrenchman Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2011
    WHat do you Have against tHe letter H/h?

Anyway, this is a tough one to pick. Walcott did give Marciano hell in their first fight but Marciano won, KO13. Walcott didn't make it out of the 1st round in their rematch.

Moore dropped Marciano but Marciano got right up, dropped Moore 5 times and finished him in the 9th round.

In regards to Walcott and Moore... there is no reason to believe that they were not at their best vs. Marciano.

Charles was a bit more faded but he trained hard and rose to the occasion, he was well prepared for Marciano both times.

Charles, Walcott, and Moore would have given Frazier some problems as well. Whoever used Bob Foster as an example was really reaching... he was really terrible at HW.

With that said, I still can't say with confidence that Marciano could beat Frazier. I don't think he should be underestimated though.