Joe Frazier vs. Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by spion, May 4, 2010.

1. spion

spion Active Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Two very similar men in styles, height, punching power, durability and willpower. How do you see this one playing out?

2. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    maeciano by stoppage.

3. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhIYGB4cWn4[/ame]

Here is what Ali has to say

4. hhascup

hhascup Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    This would be a dream match up. Both had Great hearts, so this would have been a war. I favor Frazier because he was more aggressive, was harder to hit, because of his head movement and weighed 20 pounds more. I really don't think Rocky could have fought well going backwards, and he would have if he fought Frazier.

5. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I like rocky here by late stoppage. In a match between two swarmers, I like the one who is stronger, more durable, and harder hitting. I think rocky has the slight edge in all 3 of those categories in my estimation. The big factor here is Rocky had two fisted knockout power, while Frazier had his left hook as his only power option.

Rocky TKO 14 Frazier in a war

6. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Frazier may be bigger, but Rocco has a far more devastating attack, the cumulative effect of his punches is far more damaging than those of Smokin' Joe. Which is why I keep saying that Marciano would be Ali's ultimate challenge.

My prediction? Both men, knowing nothing except forward, hammer away at each other through most of the fight, but Rocky's will and rock-like fists (no pun intended) will take a toll on Smokin' Joe and wear him out for a late TKO.

7. Cachibatches

Cachibatches Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 12, 2006
    Not again.

It seems like this thread comes up every couple of weeks. Lets recap: Frazier's hook... Rocky's right...Rocky better Stamina...no, Frazier better Stamina...Rocky better chin...Frazier bigger...Frazier bobbing and weaving defense....Rocky's defense underrated.

8. Cachibatches

Nov 12, 2006
    I love Marciano, but I think Ali was being a bit gracious.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. spion

spion Active Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Outcome?

10. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Both men had stamina and great heart, Marciano had a better chin and had 2 hands and a better defense. Frazier in his prime took a good shot and these men would go at it but I think a solid right short circuts SMOKING jOE between 6-15...Marciano by KO

11. Cachibatches

Nov 12, 2006
    Truth is I love them both. Rocky on Monday's Wednesdays and Fridays. Fraizer on Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays. Flip a coin on Sunday.

12. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Marciano too powerful, too durable, too conditioned to lose.

Unless a bad cut happens, then he should prevail.

If Frazier has his eyes closed toward the end then Rocky will stop him.

13. Son of Gaul

Son of Gaul Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2010
    The last point is an excellent one...generally when two swarmers fight the stronger of the two will logically dictate the action. Marciano is VERY strong ,especially for his size, but Joe would have weighed about 20lbs more than Rock and was equally strong p4p. Everytime I see a possible advantage for Marciano that would lead to a victory I realize that Frazier does that very thing better. Stamina,power,chin and heart are the usual reasons for picking Marciano in classic matchups but Frazier has equal measures of these same attributes...with the exception of one punch KO power. Bottom line: Frazier is basically a superior swarmer to Marciano and would connect with far to many left hooks for Marciano too be competitive in very many of these matchups.

14. hhascup

Dec 27, 2006
    You should put tapes of both side by side and you will see that Frazier was much faster, was harder to hit and fought bigger heavyweights. It would be a war but Joe would come out on top.

What boxer that Rocky beat would have beaten Joe. I honestly can not see anyone.

15. hhascup

Dec 27, 2006
    Joe threw just as many punches as Rocky did. Like I stated before, Rocky averaged only 34 punches thrown a round against Walcott. Frazier only lost to 2 men, Ali and Foreman, and I can not see Rocky beating either of them.