Joe Frazier vs. Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by spion, May 4, 2010.

1. spion

spion Active Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2004
    There has been a lot of talk about one fighter stopping the other on this thread but I cannot see either one of them being stopped by the other. It would be a brawl in close quarters with ample body and head shots. Definitely would give the fans their money's worth but I personally cannot envision a scenerio where one knocks out the other outright.

2. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Good thread and worthy of bumping

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I like Fraizer, I don't rate Marciano very highly h2h. But if the two traded in a phone booth then there's very few men Id pick over Fraizer. I see him turning it to that type of fight, then damaging the body then a hook to the head for the KO

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  4. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I agree with all of this except for the KO. Rocky lasts the distance of 15 but drops an 8-7 decision .

In regards to the OP it is 10 years old, but I don’t really find them all that similar stylistically

5. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    In terms of all-round class as a fighter, I think Frazier was a cut above Marciano. They're both superbly-conditioned and tough as old boots - but Frazier was the better technician of the pair, much quicker and has a good 20 lb or so weight advantage here, too. Can anyone here see Marciano pulling off what Frazier did in the FOTC, for example?

I don't completely rule out Frazier stopping Marciano late, albeit cuts might be the most likely form of an inside-schedule win for him. But even failing that, I'd still fancy Frazier to win the decision without too much controversy here.

6. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    I am not a Marciano fan, and I will clearly be in the minority (although there are a few), but yes I think Marciano’s style is equally bad for Ali and think Rock beats Ali

7. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Walcott was a good puncher with a great left hook and put rocky on his @ss with it. What do you think frazier's left hook would do here? Frazier would have been the best puncher rocky fought, I think they were likely equally as durable but Frazier hit harder and was harder to hit which is the deciding factor here. Frazier t.k.o.s rocky late rounds.

Moore and Ali did think marciano was a better fighter than frazier however.

Glass City Cobra and JC40 like this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Frazier grinds him down by beating him to the punch consistently... and you know it's going to be a high output fight. Marciano's face is a mess by Round 8. He's rocked and dazed and bleeding profusely. The ref finally steps in and does what the corner should have.

9. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Marciano by KO late rounds. Marciano was much better then Bonavena and we all know that he gave Joe an extremely hard time. Could see Marciano getting knocked down a few times as well. Def a top ten HW fantasy fight in many peoples minds.

10. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Exactly how I see it. I would be astounded if Marciano even almost lasted the distance.

JC40 and Seamus like this.
  11. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    This would be on my dream fight card. I think this would be a can't miss rock 'em sock 'em kind of a fight. I agree with others here who say Frazier was the better boxer but maybe Marciano has the edge in natural strength so I think it would be brutal in the clinches. No way in hell is either of these guys quitting but I can see both of them hurting the other - I'll go with one knockdown each and the fight in the balance going into the 15th before Frazier edges ahead after a stirring middle rounds comeback from Marciano.

Best heavyweight matchup ever for pure action.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Rocky never met a first class heavyweight in his prime,he would get hammered by Joe

Glass City Cobra, JC40 and Seamus like this.
  13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Oh my here we go again

14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Marciano lacks the quick twitch to win this one. He will be a step behind all night long until his face gives way.

JC40 likes this.
  15. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Frazier the better counterpuncher, everything else is splitting hairs.

Frazier stops him later, probably past the 10th, but he has to walk through Hell to do it.