Joe Frazier vs Sonny Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by vipers, Nov 11, 2011.

1. junior-soprano

junior-soprano Active Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2009
    liston is equal or almost equal in power to foreman. but sonny is a way better boxer then george was. i don't see joe avoiding that big powerful jab from sonny.
    sonny by ko in the mid rounds

2. Hydraulix

Hydraulix Left Hook From Hell.. Full Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Yeah. A year or two ago, I mentioned that Frazier could beat Liston by bobbing and weaving and countering with left hooks. And most people here tore me a new *******, laughed at me, and took a crap on my opinion. "No way Frazier beats Liston," "You don't know what you're talking about," "Suck my dick," etc. But now most people here are saying Frazier has a chance only because he's deceased. I couldn't help but point this out. I'll be staying out of threads like this one.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah ,Joe had that fantastic, long, sledge hammer jab didn't he?
    Oh, and that booming right hand to complement his left hook.

The Liston that walked through Cleveland Williams bombs , stops Frazier inside 4 rounds.

4. slip&counter

slip&counter Gimme some X's and O's Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
  5. ocelot

ocelot Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Prime Liston was a wrecking machine. The Ali fights have distorted people's idea of him. Even Emmanuel Steward said Liston in '59 or so was the greatest HW ever, unbeatable. And it's certainly no disrespect to Smokin' Joe, another ATG. I just think Liston would have the advantage.

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Liston might just be the worst heavyweight in history to match any swarmer against.

He likley beats the lot to be honest.

7. TartanSoldier

TartanSoldier Barnburner. Full Member

May 11, 2011
    The thing about Liston is, if a swarmer like Frazier does manage to slip inside his reach which is still doubtful considering Listons pole jab that because of it's power and accuracy does the equivalent of a good HW's straight right and is faster than most people give credit for.

Once he's inside his reach Liston is versatile and can brawl or box, once someone gets inside his reach. He lets go with his powerful hooks and uppercuts and being heavier and stronger than Frazier would force him back out again, then start the jab routine all over again.

I think this is thee worst possible match up for Frazier excluding Foreman so I would go for Liston TKO4. The stoppage being in the same fashion as Foreman with Joe never actually being counted out.

8. ocelot

ocelot Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2007

:lol::lol: yeah, I had a feeling if I quoted Steward I'd catch hell! Fair enough. Still Liston was a monster a couple of years before Ali. ymmv.

9. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Liston-Frazier has got to be the toughest match for me to choose a winner. It really could go either way. Anyone care to sway my decision?

10. Abdullah

Abdullah Boxing Junkie banned

Dec 2, 2008
  11. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I agree

12. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    On the surface Liston fits the bill of someone who should beat Frazier and probably by stoppage. But I don't know if its a forgone conclusion. While being a very big puncher with precision ability, Liston was not really the same kind of slugger that Foreman was.. George beat up Joe using hooks and upper cuts, whereas Liston broke men down with the jab and right cross - two shots that Joe was pretty good at slipping. Frazier also had the kind of upper body movement and hand speed that could have given Liston problems along with the fire power to test Sonny's heart.... I think this is a better match than some give it credit for... Liston should probably be favored, but again its not something I'd bet money on.

13. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Where is your evidence? I strongly disagree with this statement