Joe Frazier vs. Superheavyweights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by rm36, Dec 13, 2009.

1. rm36

rm36 Active Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    What makes you think 250 lb. Lennox Lewis or 250 lb. Vitali wouldn't be as strong as Foreman when both are bigger and very physical fighters ?

2. TommyV

TommyV VIP Member banned

Nov 2, 2007
    I don't think they were. They were/are both very strong, don't get me wrong, but I think Foreman the strongest fighter of all-time at HW.

But that's not really the point. The point is that isn't there game. I don't see both of them walking towards Frazier and delivering the sort of power he did with those low uppercuts, going that sort of gung-ho.

I think they both give Frazier more time and space to work by attempting to settle back on the back-foot and nab the early rounds behind there reach and the jab.

3. Arka

Arka New Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Lewis and Klitschko would be more difficult to move around,because of the increase in weight.

On the other hand,Foreman had probably the upper limit in the heaviness of genetic bone structure for a man of his athleticism.

I think it's conceivable he could deliver equal energy with the impact on his best shots-the uppercut and right hook- as Lewis.

4. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Perhaps. Lewis has to make it boring. But Frazier can hurt him and can bother him on the inside. Lewis is very uncomfortable on the inside, more so than even Ali was and that's his major weakness. Honestly, though, Lewis through 1-2 a lot and does vary his punches. He has a dynamite uppercut and if it connects he may TKO Frazier, but if he holds back he may loss. Bowe on the other hand will come to fight and has a very game chance to outpoint Frazier. He has varied combination, a nice uppercut, great in-fighting. I'd pick the one that beat Holy to beat Frazier over 12 rounds. 15 could get interesting, but a peak prime and 232 pound Bowe has a better chance than most are giving him. I think he might be more of a threat than Lewis.

5. dezbeast

dezbeast Active Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I'm sorry, I don't see even the best version of Frazier with the style he had and his size to boot coming close to beating any of those guys. I'd only favor him over someone like Byrd or maybe even Haye.

6. DDA365

DDA365 Gatecrasher Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Frazier would kick wlads ass. This is the same Wlad who struggled with Sam Peter launching the occasional assault right? What is he going to do with a pumped up frazier all over him from the opening bell to the bitter end?

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    A interesting analogy.

I think that Frazier would put a lot more pressure on Bowe than Holyfield did and if he started to tire against Frazier like he did against Holyfield I suspect the concequences would be more serious.

The big question is whether Frazier has the chin to mix it up with him like Holyfield did.

Lewis liked to fight safety first but he could go to war if he had to or if it suited his purpouses.

8. rm36

rm36 Active Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I agree that Foreman had punching power at, or likely above the level of Lewis. But I don't think he would be much stronger than fighters today like Sam Peter.

9. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Exactly, that's the intrigue of it. Bowe has the tools and skills and guns to unload, and he's weirdly comfortable on the onside.

If Lewis goes to war, I think that's a very good thing for Frazier. If Bowe goes to war, I think it's hell for both but honestly Bowe fairs better in this type of dog fight. If we're talking absolute peak Bowe. For me at least...

10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Where is the contemporary equivalent of Joe Frazier, a 205 lb. bob & weave guy? Or are you saying he was a once in a 40 year talent? Please enlighten me.

11. Arka

Arka New Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Strength from increased muscle mass is good,so long as you can apply it in the ring and minimise any loss in speed and endurace .

Concerning my previous post.It requires a combination of technique and bodily strength to move and turn your opponent. But if you're bigger you'll harder to push round-just like a sumo wrestler.
    An additional point- Ali was certainly stronger in the clinches than Foreman.

12. Hydraulix

Hydraulix Left Hook From Hell.. Full Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I see Frazier beating all of these guys. The only one who could possibly beat him is Lennox. But there's no way Lennox could survive Joe's constant body punching and left hook power shots. Of these four, Lewis is the only one with a slight chance, but he'd have to hurt Joe early with an uppercut and then finish him from there. That's the only way.

13. junior-soprano

junior-soprano Active Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2009
    i see lewis winning this one. the rest looses from smokin joe, imo they don't have enough quality to beat a prime frazier

14. DDA365

DDA365 Gatecrasher Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    There isnt one?

Such a silly argument

whos the contempary ray robinson?

oooh he obviously wasnt very good then and would lose to amir khan

15. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    No, he was definitely a one-off.
    Just once, for eternity.