Joe Frazier vs Wladimir Klitschko

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Nov 29, 2007.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    TALE OF THE TAPE

Klitscko

Height- 6'6"

Weight-240

Record- 49-3-0-44

Frazier

Height- 5'11"

Weight- 205

Record- 32-4-1-27

Some say that Wlad has too much size, power and boxing skills that are vastly superior. Some might argue that Frazier had faster handspeed, and a relentless drive to get in close and reak havock.

I have to go with Wlad in this one, but not without a bit of hesitation. Klitschko was knocked out three times in his career by left hooks, none of which were thrown by anyone who mastered that punch like Joe did. Frazier was only truly stopped by one man, and that guy had nothing in common with Klitschko. In addition, klitschko didn't always necessarily dust small fighters right away. Chris Byrd hung in there for many rounds on two occasions, and was well past his prime besides. Joe also proved that he could go 15 rounds, something klit never did nor ever will. As for Wlad's boxing ability and tremendous jab, well do we really have to ask outselves if Joe was capable of handling a jabber who put distance between himself and his opponents?

Potentially good matchup in any case in my opinion.

2. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Smokin Joe tko 5

RockyJim and Reinhardt like this.
  3. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Not an easy fight for Frazier (I'm talking about the current version of Wlad), but I'll have to favour Joe to take the win. Wlad won't be finishing Frazier early ala Foreman, in turn this would allow Frazier to get really smokin'- he'd duely gain the uppercut near the mid-rounds, pressurize and stop Wlad soon afterwards.

Joe Frazier TKO8 Wlad Klitchko

4. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    I think Frazier would win but would take beating in the process maybe a knockdown or two, I just feel sometimes Wlad has to much caution due to the fear of being knocked out and think Frazier would get to him evetually while being behind on points to score the stoppage. Frazier TKO 7.

RockyJim likes this.
  5. quest

quest Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Pre Corrie Sanders Wladimir would probably crush Frazier in 5-7 rounds. People seem to forget how aggressive he could be his very fast hands for a man of his size, and his greatly underated boxing ability. Post Sanders and Brewster a different story. but i would still give Wlad the advantage due to all the same reasons,despite his sometimes lack of aggressiveness

Hookandjab likes this.
  6. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    The Wlad of pre Corrie Sanders, was not yet training with Emanual Steward, and was also Ko'd by Ross Purity. Most people would not pick this version of Wlad to be the best.

7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I think the post Sanders and Brewster Wlad is better because he learned how to clinch, and pace himself better. I have little doubt the present day version of Wlad could clinch and control Frazier the same way he tied up Sam Peter.

Frazier has issues with the bigger boxers. He was down on points until round 7 vs an over weight Buster Mathis, and took a while to eventually break Mathis down in route to an 11th round TKO. Frazier also took Joe Bugner the distance in a 12 round fight.

Wlad is much better than either Mathis or Bugner, and since Frazier was knocked down and buzzed a bit too much in his career it is unlikely he could survive Wlad's bombs.

Wlad hits on Foreman’s level, except his speed is much better. If Frazier showed better punch resistance vs Foreman, I’d pick him here. But as the film shows, Foreman easily hurt Fraizer, and so would Wlad.

Sorry classic fans, I think Wlad wins this match up. Frazier has a chance, but I think it would have to be early. Frazier could not expect to take Wlad’s jab’s rights and hooks for 10+ rounds, than win late.

Hookandjab likes this.
  8. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Frazier is the greater fighter, no doubt about it. But i wouldn't be surprised if Wlad dusts him. Frazier can only fight one way. Coming forward, with a style that is designed to take some shots but enough to make it into the late rounds when he gets really active. This doesn't work against huge punchers as you saw in his fight with Foreman. Wlad has more one-punch knockouts than Foreman, has much better delivery and balance but lacks the uppercut that Foreman has.

If Wlad is allowed to shove Frazier back the way Foreman did, then Frazier doesn't have much chance if Wlad adopts the right strategy. If he's not allowed, then Frazier has a better chance. Still, Wlad will tie him up on the inside which is the only place where Frazier can get his work off. Frazier packs a good punch, but is not a huge puncher. He could definitely stop Wlad, but i think the other way around is more likely due to styles.

9. quest

quest Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2007
    The reason i picked pre Sanders is because Wlad was more aggressive and i don't think his fatigue factor would come into play because he wouldn't need that long in my opinion. He bore in and destroyed an iron chinned Mercer, and on top of it all i think he had more effective power than Forman due to his better skill and much faster hands. We all seen what a 6'3 slow Forman did to Frazier

10. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Joe would probably TKO Wlad in the Ninth, in a very hard fight.

11. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    :rofl :rofl
    right first of all why he got knocked out by sanders was becuase he came out with no fire at all. and thats sanders! who isnt renowned for his swarming style...joe frazier is.

fatigue would come into play becuase joe fraizer style is about out working and throwing far more shots than his opponant, and seems to gain momentum over the course of the fight which wlad doesnt have. nor does wlad have joe's chin and pure determination.

also on the inside wlad clinches becuase there is no point of fighting on the isnde....why if he is 6'6 you shouldnt bend over to fight a guy who's only way of winning the fight is to brawl with him.

joe ate guys who didnt fight back this is what made him so destructive.

when he fought chuvalo and quarry they were pretty even rounds but then when the other started to fade he had them and stopped them...(though the chuvalo is about his right eye) in a clinch joe breaks out of it and comes back to throw 3 more punches.

and for god sake you talked abuot him koing iron chinned ray mercer...ray mercer was WAY over the hill and was just looking for pay checks he put up a fight but when he knew he coudlnt win it was a sour fight.

and to say he his harder than george foreman is incredulus. george foreman is the hardest hitting heavywieght champion of all time and you are saying wlad who is just a title holder righth now is a better puncher.

georges ko didnt come form behind a jab form a distanc ehe went in close and blew them away this is not wlads approach to the fight thus the george foreman analogy is irrelevent.

and joe fraizer was shot to pieces when he met foreman. joe had one last hurrah when he blitz ali but that was it.

12. ChrisPontius

Oct 4, 2005
    Where do i start....

Sanders has incredibly fast hands from an unorthodox stance and more power than Frazier. Frazier is a wear-you-down type of fighter, entirely different situation.

Who says it would go that far, though?

What do you mean? Wlad will tie Frazier up on the inside and prevent him to get his shots off. Joe ate guys who didn't fight back, but he didn't ate guys who held him. Watch Ali vs Frazier II. And Wlad is a lot taller and heavier than Ali.

Wlad is on another planet when it comes to punching power, size, athletic ability, speed and mobility when compared to Chuvalo and Quarry. What is the common factor of all of Frazier's opponents? They couldn't miss him early on. And Wlad has more power than all of them and is more accurate.

So far you have only stated that it is incredulous and that Foreman is the hardest hitting hw champion of all time. Why not bring forth an argument?
    Wlad has more one-punch KO's than Foreman. Norton was known to have a glass chin.

The analogy goes like this:
    -Every good fighter couldn't miss Frazier early on.
    -Foreman has huge power, by consequence of the above, he knocked Frazier silly.

The same may just play out if Wlad fights him. Just because it never happened doesn't mean it won't happen. Of all Frazier's opponents, style wise Ali and Ellis are closest. Both landed a shitload of punches but neither had big power. Wlad does, and his hands are very fast.

Shot to pieces? He posted the greatest win in the entire heavyweight history only one and a half year later. Perhaps the fact that Foreman because of his power posed stylistic problems was also a factor? He was shot to pieces against Cummings. Against Foreman he was past his best, but still champion.

13. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    At least you are consistent in your bigger is better aproach.

Most proponents of the theory dont apply it to 1970s fighters like Joe Frazier.

14. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
  15. ChrisPontius

Oct 4, 2005
    Of course, prime Willard KO19 Dempsey. :D