"Joe Frazier was a slow starter." myth

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Dec 23, 2015.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    21 of fraziers 27 stoppages have come inside the first 5 rounds. This whole slow starter ****. is an overblown myth

Kid Bacon and Boxed Ears like this.
  2. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    A myth to try to prop up Fraziers ability. Probably derived from Foreman saying he jumped on Frazier to stop him from getting on a roll. Foreman was being kind. Nothing about Frazier posed any threat to Foreman.

Kamikaze likes this.
  3. itsa

itsa Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2015
    it just means the first round

but yeah I agree overblown statement

4. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I don't think that it's a myth. I watched it, i think Joe even have acknowledged it.

5. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I will strongly disagree with that notion.

robert ungurean likes this.
  6. itsa

itsa Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2015
    We know dude....

7. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    This is silly. It was a common belief predating Foreman. It was much discussed prior to the FOTC.

8. 2piece

2piece Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    He did start slow at times, but he start rather quickly against Quarry do to necessity of Quarry coming to fight early and he knocked out Bob Foster quickly. He would start fast if the situation called for it. There were times where he started slow though, but once he started smokin he was hell on wheels.

9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    He still lost the first round to Quarry. And I think he really got going by the third.

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It is a half truth.

I would throw the first round of the Machen fight into the argument.

11. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    He tended to be more vulnerable in the early rounds. Foreman had him out in two rounds, Bonavena had him down twice in round two, Ali wobbled him in round two of their second fight, Mathis won a few early rounds. Getting him out early before he started smokin' was usually his opponent's best chance of winning.

12. 2piece

2piece Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    He lost that round, but he threw around 60 punches to keep up to Quarry's pace.

13. Anubis

Anubis Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
    I counted their punches a few years ago. Joe threw a total of 64 punches, but Jerry unloaded 93. 57 of JQ's punches were left hooks, and 20 of those left hooks were to Frazier's body. A completely unsustainable pace for Jerry.

Machen, Ziggy and Daniels all produced first round knockdowns, Manuel Ramos a near knockdown, and he won the opening round against Bob Foster. Very few are at their best in the opening round, but Joe was certainly no Carlos Palomino, Michael Spinks, Duane Bobick or Ken Norton (whose starching of Bobick was wildly anomalous) in that respect. (Ron Lyle made a volitional choice to never produce an opening round knockout, always opting for a feeling out process instead to try bettering himself as a boxer.)

I think I'll add Bob Foster and Danny Lopez to the list of heavy hitters who tended to start slowly.

14. Anubis

Anubis Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Not sure, but Frazier's first KD of Ziggy may be the all time record for fastest opening round KD in HW Title competition, 13 seconds after the opening bell. Yes, it's only Ziggy, but for whatever it's worth, Smoke may have produced the only two KD's Ziggy sustained in his 36 bout career.

15. nikrj

nikrj Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2011
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGdfSIbPWE
    01:08
    Manuel Ramos did hurt him in round One.....