Joe Frazier ,Wins The F.O.T.C, how did it decline from there ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GordonGarner65, Oct 31, 2018.

1. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    wars of attrition tend to take something out of a fighter. Couple that with joe resting on his laurels somewhat after the Ali victory and thats about the size of it

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Don Turner? He did a great job for Holyfield didnt he? Persuaded Evander he didn't need a cut man,telling him that they were a con and an unnecessary expense.What happened? Evander got cut against Moorer and Turner couldn't stop the bleeding.Turner is full of it!

3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    "resting on his laurels somewhat" For two years he never defended against a ranked contender!

Bokaj and Titan1 like this.
  4. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

You think Eddie Futch knew Frazier took a tremendous beating against Ali, the kind that lasts, and wanted to protect him? Like Mickey in the Rocky movies.? And Instead of Mr. T ,eventually he Joe fought George Foreman.

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    That's probably about the size of it.

6. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    You still love that guy.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I've no time for him.Nor had Emmanuel Steward.

8. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    There are a million “great trainers” the only difference between the ones we don’t get to hear about and the ones regarded “all time” great trainers (worth hanging onto every word they say) is that most of the “all time” ones were great hustlers too. And that includes Steward. I met Manny and that guy could talk all day, with an answer for everything and everyone. Millions of trainers are just as knowledgeable. What makes most of the special ones special is that are great salesmen. They really sell what they do much better than anyone else. You don’t like Don because Manny didn’t like Don. Both guys got the best out of the guys they trained and that’s all they had to do.

Jackomano likes this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Rubbish.
    I don't like Turner because he talks absolute ****
    eg
    You can't overtrain.Archie Moore disagrees
    Cut men are a con.We saw the results of that pearl of wisdom when he convinced Holyfield to dispense with his cut man.
    Ward is an average fighter.No comment necessary'
    Marciano is the hardest puncher I ever seen .When did you see him fight live?
    Goldman trained me This doesn't add up chronologically.
    I trained Wlad,Vitali ,Kovalev ,McCallum ,and just about everybody else!How come you aren't on their resumes?
    Mayweather would be a 6 rounds fighter back in my day. Nonsense
    Marciano would ko both the Klits in one night.
    Hook & Jab pads are useless.
    That just for starters.

Who did Turner get the best out of, let's have some names?
    He is full of it!

10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah Dons a hustler, they all are to some extent.

11. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Don technically did train both of the Klitschko brothers, but not for very long and he did work with Kovalev, but Kovalev doesn't seem to be trainable.

In 2003, Klitschko was shuffling through trainers, having rotated Freddie Roach, Don Turner and Fritz Sdunek (among others) through his corner. Steward was with Lewis, but a few months after Lewis beat Wladimir's brother, Vitali, he elected to retire. Around that time Klitschko's manager, Bernd Boente, suggested Klitschko give Steward a call.
    https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/03/01/klitschko-steward

choklab likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Turner carried the bucket in Kovalev's corner.

13. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    The thing all famous trainers have in common is that they get to work with a lot of already great fighters. And the more great fighters they work with the more demand they create for their services.

It’s always worth having guys around who worked with great fighters. And that must be why Don Turner, Manny Steward, Angelo Dundee, Freddie Roach and many others were in such high demand.

For one fight Larry Holmes had both Ray Arcel and Eddie Futch in his corner. I think Ray carried the bucket and Eddie held the sponge.

It dosnt mean they were not great trainers.

Jackomano likes this.
  14. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

I think he is saying that you cannot give him TURNER credit for Kovalev’s achievements because he played a small role, if any, in his development.

15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Sure Turner hardly plays a role for Kovalev. but that is true of a lot of great trainers isn’t it? Point is, Don was probably invited along because of his experience and the respect he has in the sport.

Jackomano likes this.