Joe Frazier's Autobiography

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Hydraulix, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hydraulix

Hydraulix Left Hook From Hell.. Full Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I got it in the mail the other day and it's a great read. It's much shorter than Joe Louis' book, but I like how they both walk you through the fights they had in the ring. Here's some highlights that I found interesting...

* Yank Dorum begged Joe to retire after Frazier beat Ali. They wanted him to retire undefeated at his peak.

*Frazier misses Yank, but is also angry with him because Yank didn't take his medicine, which led to the fatal stroke he had. Frazier tried to get him to take it, but Yank always brushed him off

*Frazier watched films of Marciano and Henry Armstrong when he was crafting his fighting style. (That's pretty obvious, though)

*Frazier said that Buster Mathis was lazy; he didn't like to train, and it's possible that his hand wasn't even broken---the coaches wanted Joe to fight for the gold medal because he was the hungrier fighter.

*Speaking of food, Frazier's childhood nicknames were Billy Boy and Fatboy Frazier

*Frazier taught Marvis how to box when he caught him beating up his younger sister.

And don't get me started on the Ali insults. He really, really, really hates that man. He's got several chapters almost devoted to harshly insulting him. But I understand where Joe is coming from exactly. I'm not done with the book yet, but it's a good read.

2. doug.ie

doug.ie 'Classic Boxing Society' Full Member

Apr 1, 2008
    its on its way to me mate....maybe even today i'll have it

3. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Not the best boxing bio I've read,but far from the worst. I enjoyed discovering the word 'scambooga'

4. Il Duce

Il Duce Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 18, 2010
    In early-1972, Smokin Joe was trying to set up a fight with George Foreman,
    who was rated #1.
    But Foreman was not in good shape (carrying some added baggage around his waist).

This from a Sports Illustrated article, on the night after destroying Terry Daniels.
    Joe only wanted one or two more fights, as he was losing his desire.
    He was hoping for a $10,000,000 purse for another bout with Muhammad Ali.

5. Hydraulix

Oct 4, 2008
    Really good here. Right now I'm at the part where he's about to fight Buster Mathis for the New York State title. Frazier is an aggressive dude, inside and out of the ring. When he was a teenager, a racist white bully drove by and called him the N-word. The two decided to duke it out, and Frazier knocked him out with a single left hook, right there in the street. I love this man.

6. andy

andy Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2007
    LOL thats my favourite part of the book! Man did those idiots pick the wrong bloke to shout abuse at! Would of loved to have seen it! Damn scamboogas!

7. Hydraulix

Oct 4, 2008
    Almost done with the book now. I'm at the part where Frazier retired for the first time after the Foreman rematch. Here are some highlights that stand out to me.

*Frazier says Ellis was an easy pushover, but was ticked because he ducked him for at least two years. Frazier fought Chuvalo, Quarry, Zyglewicz, and some of the others while waiting around for Ellis.

*Bob Foster broke his ankle when Frazier knocked him out.

*Foreman ducked Frazier after winning his title. Instead of giving him the contracted rematch, George took a few easy fights. Then he lost to Ali, and of course Ali ducked Foreman AND Frazier after winning the championship by fighting Wepner and others.

*Frazier says that Futch came up with a decent strategy for the Foreman rematch. The plan was to avoid Big George's right uppercut long enough for him to tire out, and then move in and wreck him. But Frazier says that they didn't think about getting caught by Foreman's left and his right. George actually outsmarted Frazier later in the fight to land his massive punches.

*Frazier's body was seriously breaking down by 1975. He was basically blind in one eye, and getting cortisone shots in his left arm. It's amazing that his left arm was hurting with arthritus, but he still landed that hook at will.

These are just some of the things at the top of my head. Very nice read.

8. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hyd, your signature...:lol: Good signature.

9. Hydraulix

Oct 4, 2008
    Thank you. i figured I might as well come clean, rather than hide my true feelings for that round milky mountain of a man. :oops:

10. doug.ie

Apr 1, 2008
    got it...came yesterday...but the day before on st patricks day, my missus had a baby, another son...so i may not be as fast reading this book as i was the joe louis one..

i did start it last night where he's talking about his dad losing his hand / lower arm and how close they were.

11. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Congratulations to you and your wife :good Joe never quite recovered from the sad loss of Yank Durham.

12. boxingmemories

boxingmemories Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Not to mention that inhis book he refers to Ali as Clay...........

13. doug.ie

Apr 1, 2008
    just about to post that

14. Tuaman

Tuaman Return Of The Terminator Full Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I have this book as well. Joe was certainly not nice to Clay....I mean Ali. Once you read his name as Clay so much it becomes a habit. Here's an excerpt.

15. Goyourownway

Goyourownway Insanity enthusiast Full Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Just reading some of these excerpts just reminds me of what an arrogant and delusional old fool Cherry Pickin' Joe actually is.The nerve of this bitter old fart to accuse anybody of avoiding him would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.