Joe Jeannette V Jack Dempsey,Joe Louis,Jack Johnson?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Apr 22, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Joe Jeannette v Jack Dempsey,Joe Louis, Jack Johnson.
    All fights 15rds, prime for prime.
    Your picks?

2. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Id pick them all to beat Jeanette. I think Jeanette is pretty overrated today by historians.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    RockyJim and mcvey like this.
  3. Turner72

Turner72 Member Full Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Jeannette to come off second best to all three.

RockyJim and mcvey like this.
  4. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    You mean pysstorians like your "esteemed self", his contemporaries thought otherwise such as the most boring HW champion ever Jack"clutch n grab" Johnson. A prime Jennette from what I have read would have been a handful for all of them. Many alts returns and addresses the question, 2x's lol

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm not sure who this is addressed to but I know you are a quality poster.

6. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    Not addressed to you, but to the other "quality" poster, addressing his "historian" remark

7. klompton2

Feb 10, 2013
    Awww, poor Greg... mad nobody is giving your hero love? Get used to it. He wasnt anything special as ole clutch n grab proved numerous times. Lol. Of course a real historian to you is someone who writes a work of fiction and supposition in the first person as if hes living inside the guys head. Comical. One of the few boxing books Ive deemed worthless enough to return. I noticed you didnt have the stones to comment on the question at hand, likely because you agree with me deep down that your hero loses to all three and hence the fact that your only real reason for posting which is to follow me around like the sad pathetic little puppy would be exposed. Maybe if you dont run out of time you can write a book about your hero instead of boasting that your only significant contribution was to loan the author of a fictional bio of him your crapbook... i mean scrapbook.

But hey, at least while you are pretending I dont know what Im talking about I can be secure in the knowledge that the only reason youve seen Jeanette fight is because of me and that youll never see any of the other footage I have of him :hang ta ta.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  8. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Jeanette doesn't impress me on the footage against Langford.
    But then again, I believe he has wins over Langford too. If he did in fact beat Langford when he was in better form I don't see why he shouldn't have a great chance against those others, since Langford was generally rated at that level.
    But when we don't have film of these old-time fighters at their best it's all hearsay. All we have is other people's opinions. Often when we get round to seeing some film we're likely to be left disappointed.

9. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    As I said Jennette's contemporaries who actually saw him in action didnt think he was overrated just the pysstorians of today.
    I will answer your comments in my next post, this one lets see what Jennette's contemporaries had to say.

Damon Runyon-I would say that next to Tunney the best man at going backwards in the ring was Joe Jennette. I once saw him lick Sam Langford in old Madison Square Garden marching backwards most of the way. Style beat the might Langford a number of times. Style beats any fighter. Style will beat Louis and it may be the stab and run style I am speaking of.

Jack Johnson-Joe Jennette was the toughest man I ever saw and Sam Langford the most dangerous

Jack Johnson- You will notice that I have placed Tunney and Dempsey far down the list. I didfor the very good reason that they don’t belong with the old-timers at all. Tunney hailed as the marvel of boxing skill by the youngsters of today, was only a fair boxer. Joe jennette would have boxed rings around him

Sam Langford-Detroit Bomber would have stopped Jack Johnson in 10 rds, would have beat Wills in one rd and would have had his toughest battle with Joe Jennette

Sam McVey-You’re not human, you win Joe, my eyes are closed and I can’t see you anymore, it’s your fight

Sam Langford- Jennette aint human. I’d rather fight Johnson 20 rds then Jennette 10

Sam Langford-Joe Jennette to my way of thinking, was the toughest man in the ring

Jack Johnson-Jennette is the toughest man I ever fought and the hardest to hurt. Why the more I hit the man the stronger he got. No wonder he beat Sam McVey in a finish battle.

Jack Johnson-Joe Jennette is a tough proposition. I’m not afraid to face him in a ring, but I would much rather fight Sam Langford or Sam McVey

Nat Fleischer- Jack Johnson often remarked to me that the man who gave him one of the toughest battles he ever had, was Joe jennette, and Joe was then only a novice.

Jack Blackburn- Louis reminds me of Joe Jennette more than any other colored fighter I ever saw. He’s as cool and just as tough, and can punch like Old Joe in his prime.

Boston Journal March 4, 1908- Jennette has the most wonderful left hand displayed around these parts since the days of Young Griffo. The big New Yorker jabbed and jolted Langford at will with this member during the entire contest and it was only superb blocking by Langford that saved his face from being badly marked.

Robert Edgren- Jennette was fully as clever Johnson and his match in strength and hitting power. In the 2nd round Jennette had Johnson groggy.

Sam McVey-I cannot overcome this man if the rds are more than 20. I no longer agree to meet him under any conditions. I was surprised with the progress he has made since last yr. I confess that he was better than me the other night and I did not expect the decision of the referee

Charlie White(referee)I can truthfully say that the Langford – Jennette battle was the greatest I ever witnessed.

90 yrs later come bozos like you who know these comments exist and choose to ignore them in favor of their agenda filled comments.
    I stand by my original answer Jennette would be a handful for all mentioned

timmers612, louis54 and McGrain like this.
  10. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Haven't seen enough of Jeannette so can't really comment.

McGrain likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I believe you are right.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't want to get into an argument about the respective merits of Johnson v Jeannette suffice to say that Johnson floored Jeannette multiple times in their fights ,whilst Jeannette never succeeded in returning the compliment.Jeannette was known to be at his best over a longer distance,the longest fight he had with Johnson was over 15 rounds and he lost that conclusively.
    Comparing common opponents Jeannette lost to.As well as losing to McVey and Langford, 2 Johnson victims.Jeannette lost to
    Jack Thompson ,this was Thompson's debut! A 45 years old Johnson beat Thompson in 1923.
    Black Bill.Johnson once beat Black Bill and Jeannette on the same night!
    Battling Jim Johnson, Jeannette lost and drew with him, Johnson 35 , having been out of the ring for a year and a half and fighting with a broken arm drew with Battling Jim.
    Jeannette lost to Sandy Ferguson whom Johnson toyed with multiple times.
    Jeannette drew with Tony Ross whom Johnson carried.
    Lost to Maurice Harris whom Johnson ko'd
    Johnson, whilst champion signed to fight Jeannette twice both times the NY Commission vetoed the fights and threatened that anyone promoting such a bout in NY State would have their licence withdrawn .
    I would appreciate it if you would be more specific as to who would win the fights I have suggested.

13. KingKO123

KingKO123 New Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I don't see how Jeanette is overrated, i see quite the opposite really. When he was not even in his prime physically or fighting wise he gave Johnson hell and went through wars with McVey and Langford. Johnson had one fight with Langford and said he had enough of that not to mention the other men he took on. Jeanette vs Dempsey or Louis is a tall order for any boxer to overcome and I think at his best no heavyweight beats Joe Louis.

14. klompton2

Feb 10, 2013

Neither I nor Mcvey asked what contemporaries thought of Jeanette. If I wanted excerpts from your crapbook I would ask for them. Instead why dont you quit ducking the original question and just answer it? We already know why, its the same thing that happened years ago when Jeanette was discussed vis a vis other greats. You bitched, you moaned, you whined, you cried, you lashed out anyone eho said anything even remotely unflattering about Jeanette, and then after it was all over and the dust settled you admitted that Jeanette would zn underdog in the fights mentioned. It was comical then, its comical now. We dont even have to surmise how he would do against Johnson. We know, Johnson overwhelmingly won their series. We can surmise that if Jeanette struggled with a 20 yr old Carpentier fresh out of the MW ranks he better stear clear of Jack Dempsey, and given Jeanettes inconsistency at the highest level of the sport he damn well wouldnt be favored over a Louis. If you think differently, and care to lodge a minority report, then do it. Otherwise continue trolling.

15. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012

I don't want to get into an argument about the respective merits of Johnson v Jeannette suffice to say that Johnson floored Jeannette multiple times in their fights ,whilst Jeannette never succeeded in returning the compliment.Jeannette was known to be at his best over a longer distance,the longest fight he had with Johnson was over 15 rounds and he lost that conclusively.

First, I am not arguing who won what, or who dropped who or how many times. And to tell you the truth I really dont care. One thing was apparent “ole clutch n grab”, didnt fight an experienced Jenennette, he fought an inexperienced Jennette. Since you and your partner know so much, MY point was Jennette was not overrated, at the time by his contemporaries, he was underrated by pysstorians 90 yrs later such as yourself and your partner. Jennette’s contemporaries thought the complete opposite of what you nitpickers think 90 yrs later. Like it or not, spin it anyway you want, Jennettte, was part of the big four black HW’s of that time, accept it, he earned his place, by fighting Langford, Johnson, and McVey. But you gossiping old ladies nitpick.

Comparing common opponents Jeannette lost to.As well as losing to McVey and Langford, 2 Johnson victims.Jeannette lost to
    Jack Thompson ,this was Thompson's debut! A 45 years old Johnson beat Thompson in 1923.
    Black Bill.Johnson once beat Black Bill and Jeannette on the same night!

The games you and the prof play, you leave out things that are relevant but 'er please how many fights did Jennette have at the time and how many did clutch n grab have? These are relevant facts. One was in his 5th fight the other was in his 39th fight.

"Johnson - who attempted to knock out the first of two men on this card - dropped Jeannette three times in round 1, but after that his opponent stuck it out and gave as much as he took. In the end both the New York Evening World and the Washington Times declared it a very even fight. UPDATE: According to a consensus of the Philadelphia newspapers, Johnson won the bout. The Philadelphia Record and Philadelphia Evening Bulletin both awarded the bout to Johnson and the Philadelphia Inquirer account stated that "Johnson seemed unable to get to Jeannette with any of his blows effectively, although the New Yorker took the count more than once to gather his wits about him when the milling got a bit warm."

Battling Jim Johnson, Jeannette lost and drew with him, Johnson 35 , having been out of the ring for a year and a half and fighting with a broken arm drew with Battling Jim.
    Jeannette lost to Sandy Ferguson whom Johnson toyed with multiple times.
    Jeannette drew with Tony Ross whom Johnson carried.
    Lost to Maurice Harris whom Johnson ko'd

All of this says what? O, I know it builds your case but no matter what you say, to the people at that time, Jennette, was part of the the big four and that should say it all. Psst, none of the guys you mentioned were part of the big four or reached their stature.

Johnson, whilst champion signed to fight Jeannette twice both times the NY Commission vetoed the fights and threatened that anyone promoting such a bout in NY State would have their licence withdrawn .

Cherry pickin’ at it’s best, let’s see Johnson fought all over the world, and cos the NY commission vetoed the fight, meant it couldn’t be done anywhere else. Europe would be a good place, or Australia, or the UK. Black fighters were welcome in Europe would be a good place, Australia, or the UK. New York was probably the worst place to even think about for putting on that fight. All the big four were popular in France, why wasn’t it proposed there?

I would appreciate it if you would be more specific as to who would win the fights I have suggested.

Dang, I did answer it, but in your haste to make your irrelevant points you must have missed it, a quality poster as yourself should read things carefully. I SAID HE WOULD BE A HANDFUL FOR ANY OF THEM. That’s my answer, what’s wrong with that? You and your partner deal in fantasy boxing and opinions about who would win or lose, no matter how you may spin it, it’s your opinion 90 yrs later. I much rather see what the fighter has done overall and not nitpick certain facts to make your agenda driven points.
    Jennette more than earned his spot why cant you and your partner respect fighters instead of nitpicking boxrec/ article warriors analyzing things 90yrs later.

Last edited: May 19, 2017