Joe Joyce insists he's ready for Oleksandr Usyk eight years on from "naive" defeat

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 26, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    EXCLUSIVE: Londoner Joyce insists he's a much better fighter than he showed in his defeat to Usyk at York Hall back in 2013, and he's ready to prove it

Joyce’s development since 2013 has been marked and since turning pro in 2017 after claiming silver at the Rio Olympics, he has won the British, Commonwealth, European and versions of the WBC and WBO titles in just 12 fights.

His superb win over the previously-unbeaten Daniel Dubois, where he jabbed his head off, elevated him to world level and he insists he is ready for Usyk.

If Joyce was at the same level he was in 2013 would he have beaten the version of Dubois he fought and is he now a world class boxer?

Is Joyce ready for any heavyweight in the world right now?
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/joe-joyce-next-fight-usyk-23383181

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  2. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017
    joyce didn't make a name for himself at HW before dubois, so my instinct tells me that usyk handles him pretty comfortably.

3. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
  4. seansanashee

seansanashee Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Too quick, too slick, easy fight for Usyk.

5. Wizbit1013

Mar 17, 2018
    Nothing easy about a fight with Joyce,win or lose

Tankatron, AlwaysFirst, joe91 and 4 others like this.
  6. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I’ve come to realise that. Usyk is in for a very hard night. I think late in the fight is where he will find it hard, Joyce won’t let him breath

7. Wizbit1013

Mar 17, 2018
    I'm far from an expert but i kinda saw it in Joyce even in the few fights i saw him in before turning pro

No one will convince me that he does not give any belt holder a hard time and a possible victory

Leeroy84 likes this.
  8. seansanashee

seansanashee Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I might be wrong but I don't see why people rate Joyce highly. From what I've seen, he is ridiculously slow and not that powerful. I can't see him giving any of the top guys a troublesome fight. I rate him at around Chisora level at best.

kirk likes this.
  9. covetousjuice

covetousjuice Putin did nothing wrong Full Member

Apr 21, 2015
    I, for one, do think 8 years, and the transition from ams to pros, is sufficient to discount the outcome of their past match.

I'm not sure who I favor at the moment. I guess I slightly favor Usyk, but I'll have to think about it more.

Gatekeeper and mark ant like this.
  10. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    You see a lot of people bashing Joyce, he's better than he looks in there guys, come on, open your eyes and you might actually see past your noses, he may not be the best fighter to watch, but he's a tough fight for anyone. Nobody will walk through Joyce..

Holler, Tankatron, Gatekeeper and 2 others like this.
  11. znalniaskas

znalniaskas Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat AJ.
    The guy is +15 pounds heavier and has a bigger frame while having a much better gas tank.
    He also has better footwork and head movement than AJ, he could wear him down.

12. R6_Ninja

R6_Ninja Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    He might not have a style that's enjoyable to watch, but you don't win amateur medals at the Olympics, World Championships, Commonwealth Games if you don't have something about you. Time will tell (and he needs to big fights asap) but I think he's well above Chisora level - I'm positive Joyce would give AJ a tough night.

Holler, Gatekeeper and Somali Sanil like this.
  13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Joyce has a better, longer jab than Chisora though and he throws it constantly.

Gatekeeper and Somali Sanil like this.
  14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    “I could have used the double jab. I had no head movement, I was just throwing out punches. I have a lot more finesse now, a lot more tools to hurt him with.

“It was such an exciting fight, but when I look back at it, I can see I was such a novice. I was absorbing punches by just taking them.”

Joyce’s development since 2013 has been marked and since turning pro in 2017 after claiming silver at the Rio Olympics, he has won the British, Commonwealth, European and versions of the WBC and WBO titles in just 12 fights.

His superb win over the previously-unbeaten Daniel Dubois, where he jabbed his head off, elevated him to world level and he insists he is ready for Usyk.

“I feel I have improved so much since then,” said the Londoner.

“He’s had to put on a bit more muscle and size for the heavyweights. That’s made him slower and that could help me.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    His jab is fast and doen`t travel far, he has a good reach and throws that jab constantly, most heavies are is easy to hit with the jab because they have no head movement.