Joe Joyce top 3

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Punchdrunk1, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Punchdrunk1

Punchdrunk1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2019
    After tonight's fight I reckon Joyce is definitely in the top 3 after Fury and Usyk.

No one has ever beat up Parker like that.

I have liked Joyce for a while but was unsure how he would cope with the top dogs. After tonight's performance I think he would be too much for Joshua and Wilder.

He can take punches better than any heavyweight and keeps coming

2. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    He is certainly better than Joshua, but it would be interesting to see if he could take a Wilder straight right full-blooded. Wilder is a different league in power than Parker whose power hasn't looked great in many of the twelve rounders he has been in.

3. Hankey89

Hankey89 Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Wilder power only works on tomato cans... lots of people can look powerful koing C level fighters. Joyce would just walk Wilder down and stop him within 5 rounds.

Snowy1989 and Scissors like this.
  4. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Would love to see Wilder in with a Parker, Joyce or Ruiz Jr.

Fury has got up 4 times (with generous counts)
    Both Ortiz and Breazeale were on their feet when the referee called for the bell.
    Duhaupas too.

Joyce might well take Widler's best shots. Fury did...

BEATDOWNZ and Scissors like this.
  5. Safin

Aug 3, 2019
    Yes - agreed. Fury and Ortiz are complete tomato cans.

Wilder knocked out Breazeale cold in seconds, and it took Joshua about 7 rounds of relentless punishment to get him out of there after a sustained beating.

6. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Do you mean top 3 in terms of what they have achieved and where they stand today or top 3 in terms of who you think is best (i.e. if they all fought each other, the top 3 would be Fury, Usyk and Joyce)?

For me, Joyce has a good chance of beating anyone. His chin just maybe ATG level and his stamina is top notch, too. He also has decent, thudding power. Not one punch KO power, but the type where opponents seem to feel it. He has a Carl Frochesque awkwardness to his timing, and, much like Froch, his ring IQ is good so he can do a lot with his limited skills and athleticism.

Like you, I think Joshua and Wilder are the more winnable fights. Joyce's relentless pressure, power, mental toughness, and granite chin would be a nightmare for Joshua. One thing that may play to Joshua's advantage is that against the biggest puncher Joyce ever faced, Dubois, Joyce was noticeably more hesitant. He wasn't plowing forward like he normally does, and actually put on a decent "boxing" performance, dominating Dubois with the jab. I'm not sure if he could do the same to Joshua with the same level of success. He'd be better of with controlled aggression and tiring Joshua out and wearing him down.

Wilder would be interesting. ATG power against an ATG chin. Wilder can't fight backing up and he has no inside game, so Joyce should jump all over him (like Hatton v Tszyu) and beat him up. He could potentially do Wilder in 6 with these tactics. He just needs to try and avoid that huge right hand when he's coming in.

A Fury fight, for me, is more winnable for Joyce, these days. The old Fury who could get on his bike for 12 rounds with none stop movement would beat Joyce on points by a comfortable margin. This older Fury who stands his ground more and is more open would play into Joyce's hands more. Fury is great on the back foot and using those herky jerky movements to draw leads from his opponents. When he's stationary or coming forward is when he starts making mistakes and leaving himself open. Fighting a guy like Joyce who will throw when you do (or right after you've thrown) could leave Fury open. Also, unlike Wilder, Joyce throws in combinations and he will target Fury's body. Fury has been great in his biggest wins against Wlad and Wilder, but these guys are 1-2 merchants at distance. When fighters put it on Fury, throw at medium and close range, and throw more than one - twos, Fury has got tagged more. Add in that it will be a big, non stop juggernaut doing the punching then this could be a very long night Fury. I'd still favour Fury to win, but he'd know he had been in a fight if he faced Joyce.

Usyk would probably be the hardest for Joyce to beat. If anyone could dance around Joyce, not get cornered, get Joyce overreaching and off balance, and make Joyce really think in there, and maybe even start doubting himself, then it's Usyk. Obviously, Joyce would have success as Usyk isn't un-hittable, but unless Usyk ages badly, I find it tough to see Joyce giving Usyk anything but a tough, game, but, ultimately, losing fight.

Hopefully one of these fights can come off, but I'm not so sure. He could find himself in the who needs him club. Saying that, though, just like Froch, Joyce looks easily beatable on TV. Maybe one of them see a relatively easy night's work against Joyce.

Punchdrunk1 and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  7. Hankey89

Apr 9, 2016
    I forgot about him koing ATG Brezeale.
    Who is the best fighter Ortiz has beat?
    Fury absolute battered Wilder. Couple of knockdowns when he had just lost 30 stone in the first fight mean nothing, Fury got dropped by a cruiserweight, I guess Steve Cunningham must have all time great power as well.

8. Safin

Aug 3, 2019
    It's irrelevant Breazeale's standard - Breazeale took 7 odd rounds of clean punches from "Ajay" and he could only take one from Wilder. I love how you have tried to ignore this.

Fury was seriously hurt against Wilder in two bouts. He wasn't against Cunningham.

9. Hankey89

Apr 9, 2016
    Because it is irrelevent, I said he can knock out tomato cans like Brezeale, what does that prove, ATG power? Wilder couldn't KO Stverne in 12 rounds in their first fight, and then KO him quickly in the second, did he go from no power in the first, to all time great? All fights are different.

All I know is, Wilder record is completely padded with poor fighter, first top level boxer he met, even after binging on drugs and food for years, could not knock him out, and got absolutely battered.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  10. Safin

Aug 3, 2019
    There was almost three years between the Stiverne bouts. Clearly Stiverne had deteriorated enormously. He looked awful.

It doesn't matter if his record is poor - what does that have to do with his punch power? He's dropped every boxer he's ever been in the ring with. Would it need him to drop an iron chinned "Ajay" for you to admit that his power is incredible?

He's an enormous puncher. It takes the breath away when he lands with one of those straight rights.

11. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    I'm writing it again: Joyce is a top fighter and can cause trouble to Fury and Usyk, but not beat them because of the following: misses a lot of punches (this is enough to the no doubt inferior otherwise Wilder), is slow and is one-dimensional, moving forward, but can't do much if the opponent is changing directions or is pushing him back.

12. Safin

Aug 3, 2019
    Sorry, @Aydamn @Vegan Beast but he would absolutely obliterate Dillian Whyte.

sniffmybadger and Who_Necks like this.
  13. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Joyce is a problem for all of them. He’s relentless the only question is his chin, which appears quite solid up to now.

I’d favour Usyk and Fury just above him but I’d probably back Joyce to beat everyone else.

Potwash, Holler, Jacko and 1 other person like this.
  14. Who_Necks

Who_Necks David Price's Big Suit Full Member

Dec 11, 2016
    The thing with Joyce is his age, he is 37 now so need a title shot soon.
    He imo is definitely up there now, his chin and stamina are ATG level he took some flush power shots from Parker and didn't move an inch and left the ring without a mark on him.
    But he is very beatable for both Fury and Usyk who have ATG boxing ability, I gave parker the first 4 rounds as he outboxed Joyce but the pressure took its toll and when Parker started to slow and he couldn't move out the way the relentless pressure made him collapse.
    A current 37 yo Joyce beats them all apart from Fury and Usyk, I just wish he was 5 years younger.

Holler, BEATDOWNZ and FastLeft like this.
  15. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    if AJ doesn't fight Fury
    & Fury Usyk is happening next
    Joyce should chase an AJ fight

realistically I think Wilder is stuck in fights with PBC boxers until they get him a title shot