Joe Joyce vs Joseph Parker September 24th

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Scott Cork, Aug 2, 2022.

1. infini IV

infini IV Dillian Whyte. KTFO like I said he would Full Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Parker descion after lighting up, slow as a glacier Joyce for most of the fight.

Kiwi Casual likes this.
  2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Two creaky old battleships thudding away at each other in slow motion for 12 rounds. It's gonna be like a historical documentary from 1600.

The G-Man likes this.
  3. Kiwi_in_America

Kiwi_in_America The Tuaminator Full Member

Oct 19, 2006
    The Parker from the 2nd Chisora fight is far from "slow"

Watch it again

4. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Joyce manages to pull off being both very weird and very likeable at the same time, which is some feat...

5. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    This content is protected

6. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Glad to be wrong on this happening.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  7. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Making this fight was allegedly impossible 6 weeks ago, wasn't it? I'm a bit skeptical that it will actually come off.

I think this could be a competitive fight. I've made fun of JP's total inability to finish off a fighter many times - but I suspect he can have a lot of success feeding Joyce uppercuts and overhands because - let's face it - JJ is not hard to hit. I don't think JJ can just lead JP around the ring and dictate the fight with his jab the way that he has with most of his opponents to-date. I wasn't too thrilled with how JJ fought the championship rounds against Bryant Jennings, either. Jennings is not a guy with much dog in him - especially down the stretch - but JJ didn't seem all that willing to pres the action for a stop.

If he doesn't punch himself out, I kind of like JP's chances to outwork JJ. Whether the judges will award him a decision in unfriendly territory is a whole other matter.

Kiwi Casual likes this.
  8. ShortRound

ShortRound Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    Ruiz couldn't decisively outpoint a 38 year old Liakhovich who Wilder had left convulsing on the canvas inside 2 minutes, going the full 10 and losing 4 rounds on one of the Hispanic judge's scorecards in America. 40 year old, 21 months inactive Arreola got on the backfoot for the first time in his entire career and made Ruiz look very poor. Ruiz has minimal southpaw experience and struggles badly with rangier heavyweights with a backfoot game, he's also inactive and has lost motivation. Wallin would school Ruiz easily if they fought but Ruiz would duck Wallin like the plague just as Whyte did, which is what you better hope continues to happen for the sake of your silly narratives.

9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Has J-Park ever fought a slow-fast speed fighter before? Because if not he might find himself in a world of trouble as Big Joe is literally the sport's premier slow-fast speed fighter and one of the best slow-fast speed fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves. He might fall into the same trap all of Big Joe's other opponents have fallen into ie. not underestimating his speed because he is slow, but rather underestimating the speed of those slow punches and how difficult it is to get out of the way of them.

Wizbit1013 and Cally like this.
  10. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Yet Ruiz did what Wilder has actively avoided attempting and that's become unified champion. Ruiz has far superior win to anything Wilder had done ( against an opponent he clearly ducked multiple times).

Again unless you think Wallin is tougher opponent than Fury then Whyte didn't duck Qallin, he enforced his mandatory (long overdue as Wilder avoided him like the plague).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Kiwi Casual likes this.
  11. ShortRound

ShortRound Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    Martin and Parker could have sold their belts to Wilder but they got a better price with hypejob cash cow AJ.

Hearn should have offered 50-50 if he wanted the Wilder fight then, which he didn't. Better to age dangerous puncher Wilder out and narrow the experience gap as Froch said. As AJ said in 2018, "I worry about that one big punch, not being outskilled". AJ is yellow and proved it in the ring against the non-punching morbidly obese Mexican midget, whereas Wilder's proven he's willing to die in the ring against Fury.

12. Kiwi Casual

Kiwi Casual Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Slow-fast isn't a thing. You're either fast or slow. Speed and timing your punches are two different things.

13. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Wilder had plenty time before to make fights with Wlad and parker before AJ fought them and wasn't interested in fighting them. Ducked AJ for unification fights multiple times all of which were career high purse offers made ( a couple offer were over double Wilders career high purse at the time).

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  14. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    It is very much a thing. Slow-fast speed fighters typically land with shots that look too slow to land but are in fact too fast not to and Big Joe is one of the greatest practitioners of slow-fast speed I've ever had the privilege of laying eyes on. If J-Park wants to win this fight he needs to enlist the services of a trainer who has extensive experience studying slow-fast speed fighters.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  15. Veerbone

Veerbone Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2021
    I have a hard time getting excited about a middle-aged prospect.