Joe Louis, best P4P Heavyweight ever ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Jan 15, 2019.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Louis in his prime was 198 pounds .. I think an argument can be made that he was the best P4P fighter in heavyweight history.

Keleneki and robert ungurean like this.
  2. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, argument can be made, definitely. Rocky and Holy also have pretty good cases. Tyson was often the smaller guy in the ring as well. Dempsey? Just off the top of my head.

escudo and Keleneki like this.
  3. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Best heavyweight ever*

The Malibu Mauler likes this.
  4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Tyson was a lot heavier than this and Holy wasn`t that good until he increased his weight and strength, his defense was dreadful v Foreman.

5. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I guess excluding fighters who moved up to heavyweight like Fitzsimmons, Charles and Langford.

6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Right but who matches up better against giant heavyweights ? I'd pick prime Louis over Fitz, Langford ( who could not get past a heavyweight jab ) and Charles ..

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    The case could be made.

His main competition would come from people who were smaller.

8. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    But it's P4P not H2H.

9. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    I think he means h2h p4p wise, basically calling the 6'2" 200lbs 78" reach shredded Joe Louis too small to compete with today's heavies

Like come on guys, when do you admit that more weight starts meaning less and less? Joe Louis was a big man in his own right. He fought bigger men than what populates today's era

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  10. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    I think the trouble is Fitz and Langford very clearly beat good quality opponents much larger than themselves, so what more can you ask for in a P4P sense?

11. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Dunno, I think p4p h2h is a flawed concept due to different valued traits at different weight classes anyways

It's like sticking Wilder in the bareknuckle era

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Well, if that P4P Criteria doesn't include Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. Possibly so. But Clay wasn't just P4P He was simply the greatest heavyweight that lived and would defeat any Heavyweight before him, and any Heavyweight after him. Esp this current group.

DJN16 likes this.
  13. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I know there are many who find Ali unbeatable, I am not one of them. I rate Louis as the GOAT but also don’t find him unbeatable. I believe Joe Frazier gave the single greatest performance in the ring among HW’s, and don’t think he is unbeatable even on that night. I am not sure what makes people find a guy unbeatable...

So hypothetically speaking, if you were trying to take Ali’s title who would you place in the ring opposite of him, who would be the trainer and what would be your strategy? Besides giving up do to impossibility?

robert ungurean likes this.
  14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I would send in Lennox Lewis. It would be a boring fight with little contact. Ali would have to be cautious because that right hand would be imposing. He never faced a guy with the combination of height, Ring IQ, Power and boxing skills. Its a good matchup for Lewis becausw Ali isn't a threat to KO him with one shot.

Glass City Cobra and mcvey like this.
  15. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    They beat bigger guys, though.