Joe Louis + Tomato Cans = overrated legacy

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Woddy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Woddy

Woddy Guest

For those of you who are new to the forum, my screen name is Woddy. It's nice to meet all of you, and for the record, I am the forum's chief poster. Some here are not comfortable with my prescence, as I often tend to tell the truth, but more on that later.

Not long ago, I posted a thread called " Joe Louis's bum of the month club. "

Here is the link, and you may wish to view it. I consider this to be one of my masterpieces.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48209&highlight=Louis's+month+club'

The thread that I am about to start is basically part two of Joe Louis's bum of the month club series. Rest assured there will be a part three, and perhaps even a part four. He never really fought a true world beater, so material should be easy to provide.

Some have ranked Joe Louis as America's champion. Others claim that he is the greatest heavyweight of all time. I think all the above is nonsense, and what I think is better and more valid than most, so at least you're in good hands for this tour..

Joe Louis was an olympic champion who was very well managed and unbeaten in close to 30 pro bouts before stepping up to the plate. Talk about protected. He was nurtured to a sickening point. He cleaned out the 1930's, a talent starved decade loaded with journeyman including the champions of the period. This time frame even featured a 25 loss fighter with artheritis and nutritional deprivation issues named Jim Braddock. Braddock defeated at least 3 or 4 of the best contenders before getting a shot at " big bad " Max Baer, who's ass he whipped so badly that a new term needed to be coined to describe the pleasure.

Louis took the title from a two year layed off Braddock who was basically gone from the game, and in the meantime Louis had gotten his ass licked by a 190 lb lightheavyweight named Max Schmeling. Yes, we know... Schmeling was an all time great " laughing out loud. " Let me remind you that boxing was young, Far younger than it is today. Acheiving the status of all time great did not take much. You beat a few ranked fighters, gave a good losing effort against a few others, fronted some excuses for bad performances such as " I got drafted to fight in the war " or " I had no trainer for my last match " or " I had to help my brother re-roof his house while training ", and that my friends, is how an entrance into the hall of fame was acheived. The credentials of some of these men were no better than that of Jesse Ferguson or Ross Purity.

Louis regularly got decked, beaten or made to look like a fool against the most average fighters the sport has ever seen. Anyone ever hear of Tony Galento? No? Well, you're not missing anything. Folks chat about how fat Sam Peter or Ruslan Chagaev look, well if you check their profiles, they are usually in the classic forum. Now check out Galento's background and do some image searches on google and tell me if you think Chagaev or Peter look so disgusting. This man floored Louis and made his face look like an ad for some abused house wife organization.

Louis fought the 40 loss Jack roper. He fought Bob Pastor who had 17 Ko's in over 50 wins and would later get stopped by Conn!!!! He gave rematches to fighters whom he never should have fought even once. Where were Elmer Ray, Jimmy Bivens, Turkey Thompson, Lem Franklin, or Lee Q Murray when Louis was fighting stiffs like Savold, Simon, McCoy and Musto???

The most padded record of all time? I think so.

The most valid opinion from ESB's best post? Again, I think so.

Opinions that are likely to be refuted by anyone here? I think not.

2. COULDHAVEBEEN

COULDHAVEBEEN Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
    We call it tall-poppy-syndrome where I come from.

Some of your points are valid but your crusade to pull down Louis will prove forlorn.

Friendly suggestion - find something positive to do with your time.

3. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Why the Holy War against Louis, W? You've taken great pains -- dredging-up an ol' thread -- to snipe at 'm.

4. kmcc505

kmcc505 Sweet Scientist Full Member

Apr 20, 2008
    I feel dumber just by opening this thread.

5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Wow. I've forgotten more about boxing than this guy will ever know.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  6. grumpy

grumpy Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Joe louis is a legend I personally rank him as the greatest hvt of all time. On this date in 1938 he knocked out Max Schmeling in 2 mins 4 sec, avenging his only defeat. If he didn't have to make a comeback then he mabye had a perfect career. He list some of his peak years while in the army, but nobody even mentiones it like they do about Ali.

7. PbP Bacon

PbP Bacon ALL TIME FAT Full Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Regardless the bias and the ego trip, this was a most entertaining reading.

8. OLD FOGEY

OLD FOGEY Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2006
    "Joe Louis was an Olympic champion"

Well, back to the drawing board.

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You don't get it do you.

When people arn't even trying to refute your positions because they are so preposterous there is no lower for you to fall.

At that point you are as far from being a credible poster as you can get and frankly you are only wasting your time and making yourself look silly.

The only thing you stand to gain by posting in this manner is atention and even that is only the kind of atention that a child gets for misbehaving.

Greg Price99 and Entaowed like this.
  10. JAB5239

JAB5239 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 23, 2008
    This content is protected

11. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Guys like this start off trying to get a rise ... I've not been here long enough but I get the idea they posted under numerous names on several boards ... whatever !

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  12. hermeneut

hermeneut New Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Hello Folks,

For years I have heard of Louis' "Bum of the Month Club" and wondered what that was all about. I understand the press at the time coined that expression? And didn't Louis himself imply something of the sort in his conversation with Ali?

One reason I enjoy reading your posts on this site, or at least most of them, is the extraordinary knowledge you bring. And you certainly don't hold back when it comes to getting a better perspective on American icons like say Dempsey, a fighter my own dad worshipped. Yet, I have always felt he deserved the criticisms I have read on this site.

So why don't some of you learned folks come forth and address this issue regarding Louis, ie, the quality of his opposition especially the 25 title defenses. You may have already done so on some thread I have missed.

Maybe I don't get the inside joke regarding the OP. But still, beyond that, surely you can arrive at some sort of real discussion of this issue.

You frequently discuss the ranking of opposition a fighter faced. Well, where, in fact, does Louis' opposition rank? Can anyone even make a general statement about this?

13. Woddy

Woddy Guest

Sorry old fart, but I don't need to go back to no drawing board.

Louis had an amateur record of 50-4-0-43, and won the Detroit area - Golden Gloves championship in the light heavyweight class. He later won the AAU tournament in St. Louis and a few other tournaments. So he was an amateur champion even though he never got anything like a gold medal.

This content is protected

14. Woddy

Woddy Guest

No I am trying to school the uneducated and so far my efforts are in vein. No one here seems to listen.

15. Woddy

Woddy Guest

You don't try to refute my position because you simply can't.