Joe Louis vs. Al Ettore

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Feb 25, 2021.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    This content is protected

1. Ettore took a chance coming out this fast against Louis. The round was a reasonably fast opener, although neither doing much damage, that is, until Louis scored the first knockdown. Ettore had just landed a good left hook, and Louis moved in, landing with two cracking right crosses that sent Ettore toppling onto the canvas. Louis.
    (2-3 not at our disposal)
    4. Louis dropped Ettore again with a short right hand that left Ettore sprawled on the deck. Besides that though, Ettore took quite a trouncing. Louis.
    5. While Ettore is backed up against the ropes, Louis lands what appears to be average for a Louis left hook, but Louis jumps in as it's apparent Ettore is groggy by it. A thunderous left hook right after sends Ettore down, with Ettore still holding the rope with one hand.

Verdict: In a way, it's not one of Louis' most striking victories because it wasn't exactly cleanly executed, since he had Ettore down twice before finally knocking him out, and he hurt him a few times while standing up. Louis did show a good display of power throughout the match though. Although not a Louis classic, it certainly wouldn't hurt to check this one out.

Btw, anyone know where Ettore was from? I know he's from Philadelphia, but couldn't find out if his parents were immigrants or not. Ettore is just a very different name ya know.

Jason Thomas likes this.
  2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I’m pretty sure he was Italian

William Walker likes this.
  3. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    I found out on the internet that Ettore is Italian for Hector. I also assume he was Italian American.

William Walker likes this.
  4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This was a pretty fun fight. A pretty classic example of Louis being frustrated by fighters who didn't give him space. But as soon as he found it, he landed some crushing rights and debilitating left hooks. Ettore was a small guy, but full of determination. He gave Louis some issues, like I said, with the lack of distance he gave him, but get much done in the end.

I had it 40-35 Louis, after four. This version has all of the rounds:
    This content is protected

5. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    I was impressed with Ettore. He put up a good effort. This is one of Louis' most impressive two hand punching displays. The two finishing left hooks were something to see.

Off his record, it appears Ettore was never quite the same after this knockout.

6. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Thanks for putting this up. I'll have to re-do this with the complete version.

George Crowcroft likes this.