Joe Louis vs. Charley Retzlaff

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Feb 22, 2021.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 9, 2020

Another beautiful knockout by the Brown Bomber. Retzlaff unwisely lunged forward with a left, but Joe scored first with a left hook and down went Charley. The fight was almost over. Retzlaff barely got up, and Louis quickly drove him into the ropes where he hit him with a hard right hand, a left hook/ uppercut that missed, a strong right to the body (I love how Louis added that into the mix), a left hook/ uppercut, and a less potent right hand, and Retzlaff was already on the way down. It looked like Louis hit Retzlaff with a right uppercut on the way down, but it's impossible to tell. It wouldn't have mattered much anyway. End of match.

Verdict: Great Joe Louis knockout. One of the fastest knockouts I've seen.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Retzlaff had a good KO record, but never hit Louis, so Joe's chin isn't tested here. Like all of Louis' opponents so far except Ramage, Retzlaff looks slow and clumsy, plus with a porous defense.

Louis improved the heavyweight division to such an extent it is like hopping onto an elevator in the basement and going to the top floor.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    William Walker likes this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Brilliant stuff, yet again.

That first left-hook didn't look too damaging, but I can't imagine lunging into any punch Joe Louis threw was a particularly enjoyable experience. Louis' follow up was amazing, and Retzlaff didn't know whether he was coming or going. No matter how he tried to cover up, he still got laced with a volley of bombs.

RockyJim and William Walker like this.