Joe Louis vs Evander Holyfield

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ali Frazier, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Ali Frazier

Ali Frazier KO ARTIST Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Joe Louis. Better skills, quicker hands and definitely the heavier and more devastating punches. Louis threw his punches correctly, that is, short and crisp, and he was very accurate with them. His left jab was a bludgeon and it would stop Holyfield in his tracks. Considering, however, Evander's solid chin and fighting heart, he'd survive a couple of knockdowns and finish the bout on his feet.

Louis by UD :bbb

2. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Louis by KO in a all time war.

Louis will taste the canvas as well.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    There are probably a fairly narrow range of blueprints for beating Louis, and I don't think Holyfiled quite sits within any of them.

4. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I gotta favor Louis in this one but you can never count out Holyfield especially against a fighter who doesn't have a great size advantage over him at all.

Heisenberg likes this.
  5. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I just don't agree with this... I think Holy is all wrong for Louis, not the other way around. There was a blueprint to beat Louis and all the best fighters he faced either proved it, or lost close fights. For me Louis is too plodding and too hittable for a peak boxer puncher Holy. Sure, Louis would be game and dangerous at any point. He'd beat Holy if they faced more than once, but I believe Holy has the edge more times than not

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You have whetted my curiosity.

What is this blueprint, and why is Holyfield well placed to implement it?

7. Abysmal Brute1981

Abysmal Brute1981 Member banned Full Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Louis by ko in 5 at the most. Eve to hittable.

8. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
  9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Awesome fight, I lean towards Louis here, by stoppage but I don't think it's right to write Holyfield off though. Some brilliant fundamentals here from both, I wouldn't be surprised with either winning.

For this fight, I see Holyfield treating it like he did the Douglas, Foreman & 2nd Bowe fights, by boxing off his feet and coming in with sharp counters and combos. Obviously, that's until he gets hit, goes to war with Louis. A young, peak
    Holyfield had the tools to trade with Louis, and the power to close the show imo. His counters and combos are almost as fluid as Louis'. If he lands clean on Louis' chin, he can definitely KO him imo.

Holyfield boxes the early rounds(1-4), splits them in a battle of the jabs, a few good counters from both men, Louis' defence probably takes these rounds. At some point Holyfield's getting hit. Hard. After that, it's all-out war, Holyfield'd stand his ground and trade, as would Louis. There'd be loads of flurries on the inside. Picture perfect short punches in bunches, difference being that Louis has a better defence, is quicker, and more accurate. He'd get the better of most exchanges.

I can see Louis going down before Holyfield, but I see Louis getting up easier. Standing in front of Louis open to brawl, isn't the way to beat him. Thing is, Holyfield being there to hit would pretty much lead to him getting worn down based on an accumulation of huge punches. His own shots could put Louis down, but not keep him there.

Louis TKO13

11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    85% -Vander too strong, too mobile, too good a boxer with his hands and his feet... stifles Louis' attack, punishes him and wins in the trenches. KO9. I think this is more reflective of the mature Vander.

15% Vander throws down early for firefight and gets caught... and gets caught... I think this is more reflective of the young buck Vander.

12. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Louis wasn't plodding at his best, and he only lost once even close to his prime.
    This content is protected

This content is protected

13. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Louis movement was never not plodding. It was less so sometimes than others. Holyfield boxed on his toes more and certainly had better movement. Louis balance was great, and better than Holy's, but not his movement.

For me, I like Holyfield at distance and on his toes to befuddle Louis a bit. When Holy wanted to box from the outside, he was very adept at it. Even on the inside, where he's in range of Louis inside power, Holy was a great technician inside and tough as nails. If Holy goes to war with Louis, I would lean towards a Louis victory. If he's cautious and sticks to boxing like in Bowe 2, he wins a decently comfortable decision imo

14. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Holyfield is my 4th favorite boxer. He is the definition of warrior. That will be his undoing here. I'd be rooting for him to prove me wrong.

15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    If Foreman could catch Holy often with his jab then Louis would have caught him even more, his hand speed was far quicker than 90`s Foreman, Holy as better at blocking shots that came round like Tyson`s did v Holy.

Reinhardt likes this.