Joe Louis vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by heizenberg, Oct 27, 2014.

1. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Louis is the only old timer I have in my own top 10 heavies.its so close and I can't imagine one being that superior to the other.obviously Louis has the bigger variety of punches and a KO in both hands plus a nose breaking left jab, but the Frazier who beat Ali was something special.
    I don't know ?????

2. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Thanks for the great responses! Very tough fight to pick a winner for me. I go back and forth, Louis was probably the best precision combination puncher of all time at least at heavyweight so its hard to imagine any fighter coming to him being able to beat him. But it also very hard to imagine any fighter who doesn't have a substantial size advantage being able to deal with Joe Frazier.

I think this fight would go like this, early rounds Louis in control with his jab and good combination punches. Frazier as always is bobbing and weaving launching hooks to the body and head but is taking more then he is giving from Louis. Around the fourth round the tide begins to turn and they start going pretty much back and forth. Frazier has some real good rounds where he gets to Louis battering his body and getting him weary with his non stop furious attack. Louis has good rounds where he hurts Frazier with a series or a single good combination or punch. I think the late rounds would tell a lot, I think Louis would have to dig deep to go the distance much like Ali in the FOTC and dig even deeper to win some of the late rounds in a close fight. I could see sometime around the 11th on Louis crumbling from the non stop attack of Frazier. If the fight goes the distance then I think its pretty well 50/50, Who wins the fight would weigh a lot on how Louis holds up in the later rounds against the relentless Frazier and also on how long it takes for Frazier to get smokin, I think Louis could possibly score a knock down or two especially early in the fight allowing him to gain an edge on the scorecards.

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    It's an interesting match up .. but I favor Louis .. he started too fast and was a murderous hitter .. that's if I had to pick ..

4. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I'd go for Louis, but it's not a confident pick. Frazier brings a lot to the table. As noted, Louis didn't like pressure fighters.

5. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I give the edge to Smokin' Joe based on style. He beast exemplifies the style that was most problematic for Louis.

6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Joe clearly wins by a knockout.

7. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Nah,....I can't cop out like that....I think Louis would catch Frazier late in the first..and if he didn't finish him then, he would have finished the job in round 2....and neater & more conclusively than Foreman did.