Joe Louis vs Larry Holmes 15 Rounds

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Dec 20, 2020.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    All due respect, I certainly wouldn't bet my house on Louis beating Liston regardless of whom I'd favor. Liston was bigger, the harder puncher, had the better jab, better chin, was better on the outside. He also wasn't dropped multiple times by the likes of guys like Galento, Buddy Baer, Simon, Braddock (an arthritic who hadn't fought in 2 years), etc. I also think Liston was better at adapting on the fly and knowing what his opponent was going to do before they did!

Spreadeagle and Shay Sonya like this.
  2. Sivaro

Sivaro Member banned Full Member

Oct 16, 2022

I picked him in an upset, he was incredibly fast and had great combinations. I think he would catch Louis cold and surprise him.

Several great contenders and fast starters could do the same. Morrison and Tyson come to mind.

I will say Louis would be the favorite in any rematch with the Walcott, Morrisons and even Charles. Louis and Dempsey would be a great match of styles, and I would love to see a series with Tunney.

3. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    Aw come on. Be brave. It is just a house. :lol:
    And if Joe Louis wins, you would have two houses! :aplastao:

JohnThomas1 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  4. jabber74

jabber74 Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Holmes by decision. Maybe he survives an earthquake but he had the chin and recovery powers to do so. I think he uses his jab and boxes to a decision.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  5. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Tempting tempting…

Spreadeagle and Shay Sonya like this.
  6. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    :aaaaa:

Spreadeagle and swagdelfadeel like this.
  7. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    @JohnThomas1 knows his stuff but even more importantly he is terrific to converse with - very much on point with good humour.

8. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    The very young @swagdelfadeel (though census check is required) has told me he already owns 5 houses, quite the wunderkind - he could easily put one up as his stake. In fact, I think that’s exactly how he has come to own 5. He treats betting like it’s a game of Monopoly. He’s foxing you. Just roll the damn dice already man!

9. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    That’s fair to express that perception.

I’ll just say I am not an older timer. I always thought Joe was a great champ. But, in all honesty, with the advent of You Tube and greater access to ALL Louis’ fights, my positive rating of Louis has risen so much more again. There was a lot more going on with Louis than he was given credit for, even in his own time.

For one thing, mod fans looking back aren’t used to seeing such economy, which is often misidentified as being slow or vulnerable.

Mod fighters in general might appear to “move” more but a lot of the movement is to no, real practical end. Louis moved just enough, was very defensively adept, seriously lightning fast with not so common heavy power in both hands.

Joe also threw a wide variety of punches, absolutely by the book, to head and body.

I would actually love to see a carbon copy of Louis arise out of the heap of today’s HWs. It’s always only an opinion but I believe it would be a revelation to those who might believe Joe would appear outdated - I think his skills, exactly applied as they were, would see outstanding success today.

Of course I would allow Joe reasonable scope to modify himself as required - no differently or more drastically than he did in his own time.

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    It was an enjoyable debate. I don't get into many longer debates much nowadays but it was obvious you were an emerging top poster who would be around for good. I'd agreed with virtually every post you'd made on other topics and thought you were underselling Louis and it might be worth throwing some food for thought out there. My opinions on Joe virtually mirrored yours when i was first on the forum.

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    You are too kind good sir! It goes right back at you, obviously :beer-toast1:

12. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Close but my riches come from betting against @JohnThomas1 so give him some credit!

13. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Ha!!! Like i'd have the loot to gift you multiple houses!!!!!!!

You're the only one i know of on ESB hitting the Forbes 400 list!!!!!!

Pugguy and swagdelfadeel like this.
  14. joebojoejoeson

joebojoejoeson Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    Joe Louis struggled against 170 pound light punching Billy Conn. A prime Larry Holmes would pick Louis to pieces and stop him mid round. Much easier than a 190 pound Max Schmeling did.

15. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    @swagdelfadeel also told me that he was voted GQ Man of the Year but wouldn’t tell me what year - of course, to maintain understandable and justifiable anonymity as he explained. Sounded fair to me.

I’ve always taken the kid on face value - have I been wrong in doing so all this time? :confused:

PS - Swag is this board’s very own Steve Bowden. We better be careful if he also shares the same size and hair trigger disposition as Big Steve, one time bodyguard for Danny (The) Green (Machine).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.