Joe Louis vs Larry Holmes 15 Rounds

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Cheers Big Ears! :) The clanking of two frothing beers EMOJI always makes me thirsty for one!

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    That's not true. As we known Conn was 168 pounds! You are under selling him. I know Louis does well and can beat a stiff legend opponent who can't move his feet of head. And one who is a limited boxer. We know that. That is not my point. My point is Conn is not a stiff legged boxer who can't move hit head or feet well. And he most certainly lacks the range and power of Larry Holmes.

Holmes is unlike the numerous good boxers Louis struggled with. Very much so.

3. joebojoejoeson

joebojoejoeson Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    Cute story. Billy Conn was a natural 170 pound guy who couldn't punch hard even against guys his own size. Who cares how well you think he could move around the ring? He was still a super middleweight/small light heavyweight by modern standards. There are weight classes for reasons. It is like saying Tommy Hearns could beat Lennox Lewis or Pernell Whitaker could beat Roy Jones Jr.

4. HomicideHank

HomicideHank I believe in the transmigration of souls Full Member

Nov 27, 2023
    The fight is over once Louis gets past the jab. I give Holmes 6-7 competitive rounds before Louis figures him out. No man who goes life-or-death with a middle-aged Ken Norton is going to beat the Brown Bomber.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  5. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    @JohnThomas1

Someone bumped this thread and I remember this was our first real debate.

Looking back at this topic my mind has changed just a tad, I still think Holmes has a good chance of winning this fight. But Louis is arguably the best finisher of all time, and whilst Holmes got himself out of some sticky situations could he do it vs Louis ? I have some doubt in my mind now.

6. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Holmes was never bombed out by a old washed up German Cruiser........was not wobbled and knocked down vs absolute bums like Galento and last but not least would never ever be out boxed by a pillow fisted by Heavyweight standards Middleweight and had to come from behind to win.......

Holmes resume is leaps and bounds above Louis bum of the month club, he fought way more actual Pro Heavies with a pulse who also had a significant weight /height/reach advantage over Louis's oppositions aka modern Heavies not guys out of the soup kitchen trying to pay rent.

7. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Louis aint got the foot work/foot speed to close the show.............Holmes jab alone would make him see double plus Holmes can take louis's best and keep on going not so sure if the Bomber can do the same.

Old Holmes was whacked by a generational talent who was on fire........and still handled top prospects afterwards while old louis got smoked by a crude 185 pounder and the only prospects he handled afterwards were lines of coke and smack.

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I remember it well old mate!!! I'll relive the memories after work.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Yes, Holmes outfoxes and outjabs Louis, but once he goes down the fight gets stopped shortly after. Louis was a whirlwind finisher and had a terrific punch.

And this is coming from perhaps the biggest Holmes fan here.

Pedro_El_Chef and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  10. HomicideHank

HomicideHank I believe in the transmigration of souls Full Member

Nov 27, 2023
    The footwork-footspeed argument is tired and not really based on reality. Louis also has a jab of his own which is much harder. Louis also has much faster hands and much more accurate punches. Old Larry Holmes couldn't beat Oliver effing McCaul... Anyways this isn't old Louis versus old Holmes, this is prime-for-prime bud. Jeez at least be subtle with your disdain.

Pedro_El_Chef and Spreadeagle like this.