Joe Louis vs. Larry Holmes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Dec 17, 2007.

1. RoccoMarciano

RoccoMarciano Blockbuster Full Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Of course it would be close between two ATG HWs.. not the most profound text I've read this year :lol:

2. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Larry, by very close UD. After surviving a couple of knockdowns.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Holmes proved he could survive bombs. I think the fight comes down to this. Louis slow feet, and low guard means Holmes scores as easily as Conn and Walcott did. The difference is Holmes hits harder, took a much better punch, and was no fool in the ring. Other boxers like Pastor and Farr made Louis look bad. The honest evaluation here is Holmes via UD or late round TKO.

4. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    This argument goes both ways, though. Conn didn't hit as hard as Holmes, but he was faster because of him being smaller.

Louis won 12 of the 15 rounds against Farr with an injured right hand, i don't really see how this should be counted against him.

It is true that Conn (a light heavyweight) gave Louis a lot of trouble though.
    But then again, Holmes was nearly knocked out by a limited fighter who basically only had a right hand and much worse footwork than Louis. Snipes who wasn't really a puncher (nor that good a fighter) had Holmes in a world of trouble too.

This one is really hard to pick. Holmes had movement which troubled Louis at times and Louis had a great right hand which troubled Holmes at times. I think they'd split a series of fights.

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    At one point, I would have readily gone with Holmes, but after watching numerous fights and clips of joe Louis, I'm beginning to reconsider. Louis in all honesty looked a lot more impressive than Holmes did, and was one of the most decisive winning champions that the division has ever seen. He was probably about as impressive of a finisher or more so than Mike Tyson was even during Mike's best years. The way Louis demolished giant heavyweights like Baer, Carnera and Simon was truly incredible. I'm also not so sure that if I were his trainer that I'd bulk him up for fighting modern heavyweights. In fact, I think Louis was fine at the weight he was. If you look at him in fights or in training sessions, Joe was incredibly well conditioned and not carrying a single unneeded pound on him. His combinations were brutal, and he defeated many different profiles of boxers and punchers over the years. I have never seen a better well developed puncher anywhere on film from a technical standpoint. I have little or no doubt that if a prime Louis had fought Ezzard Charles and Rocky Marciano that he'd eventually prevail. The fact that he was still competitive against those guys at the end of his career leaves me with this indication.

Holmes was truly one of my favorite heavyweight champions, but I can't ignore the fact that he was vulnerable at times. Personally, I think that if Larry knew he was fighting Joe Louis and not Renaldo Snipes, his attitude and mentality would be different going into such a bout. nevertheless, it would still be a very dangerous fight even on Holmes' best evening. I think its possible that Larry could have won a decision, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Anyone who thinks that Holmes would just move from side to side and stick Louis with the jab all night is sadly mistaken. If Holmes did not show up to give his absolute best performance and got sloppy for even an instant, Louis would be there to collect his head, and that's the truth.

Bonecrusher and Jackomano like this.
  6. DamonD

DamonD Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    I find this a very tough one to call. Louis can certainly bash Larry's brains in if he gets the chance - Louis could do that to almost anyone! - but Larry's ring generalship is pretty superb. Larry has the better movement and jab, I'd argue Louis has the better right and on the inside.

Fence-sitting here, but I could see either guy scoring a stoppage or points win. Too close to call!

7. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I like both guys! I just think Holmes wins this one 9-6/7-5 depending on duration.

8. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Well balanced post.:good

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Thank you.

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    There is a world of diference between surviving bombs from sombody like Shavers or Foreman and surviving sombody like Joe Louis or Jack Dempsey.

There are all time punchers and then there are all time finishers.

Holmes would do well to keep his chin out of harms way.

Jackomano likes this.
  11. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I dont think we can judge much on the fight Marciano had with Louis. Louis though pass his prime was still beating top rank contenders, and Marciano was still green going in. He would impove little by little with each fight closer to the title though.

I think a 1938 Louis vs a 53 Marciano would be one for the ages.

12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Actualy it is this time.

It wont be the deciding factor but it will certainly be an important tool.

13. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Depends if Louis is able to parry the jab though out the fight imo. If Louis can block, duck or parry it, and not get nail with it often, I give Joe a good chance.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I wouldn't bracket Shavers and Foreman tho, Foreman is a much better fighter. He was also a very decent finisher.

15. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    Thank you, this is the point that needed to be made