Joe Louis vs. Omelio Agramonte II

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Jun 8, 2021.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    This content is protected

1. A very slow round. Agramonte threw more than Louis, as was expected I suppose, but his punching was
    light in any case and did no damage. Louis slipped back into the ropes while punching. Agramonte.
    2. Louis hit him right off with a couple of lefts that shook Agramonte, especially a hard right hand that hurts him, and another right hand drops Agramonte. Agramonte beats the count and takes more of Joe's Sunday
    punches, but also lands a strong right that takes Louis by surprise. Louis.
    3. Agramonte.
    4. Agramonte scored well with flurries, then Louis rocks him with a counter left hook. The rest of the round was pretty back and forth with Louis holding an edge in the action. Louis.
    5. The fight was already falling down to a slow pace. Agramonte appeared to be gaining back some steam
    however. Agramonte.
    6. Louis was just a tad busier and a little more busy than Agramonte. Both men completed with marks. Louis.
    7. Louis was jabbing more, although at a further range than most of the fight. Louis.
    8. Agramonte closed strongly with a series of hooks. Agramonte.
    9. The commentator makes note of something interesting. He says that Louis defends against Agramonte's right by raising his own, rather than raising his left. Louis hurts Agramonte, but then hurts Agramonte comes back to really rock Louis with a strong straight right hand and left hook. Louis.
    10. "It's hard to tell when Joe tires, cuz he keeps the same style; slow and deliberate." Agramonte tried to
    secure the match with some fancy dancing. Even.

I think what cost Agramonte the fight was the late rounds. From round 6 on, he was far too eager to land the right hand that the commentator kept talking about, yet landing it barely at all. It was a huge waste of energy that cost him most of the final rounds.

Final score: 5-4-1 for Louis. Nearly each card had Louis winning by about 20 points more than Agramonte. Louis won, but what ****ING BULL****! It was a pretty close fight actually, and I felt bad for Agramonte. Keep in mind that this was in Detroit, Joe's hometown.

Verdict: Awful fight. It started slow but gave the appearance of some excitement in the 2nd when Joe decked Agramonte, but all the excitement of the match had been disposed of by the time round 4 was finished. Skip it if you value your time.

2. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Omelio was a decent journeyman who went the distance with several good and great opponent of his era, with exception of walcott and Bivins.
    I just realised agramonte is the only man to fight both Joe Louis and Cleveland Williams.
    Would have been very very interesting to see him picking the harder puncher between the 2 sledghammer puncher.

3. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    William Walker likes this.
  4. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    '51

George Crowcroft and HolDat like this.
  5. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    I disagree quite a bit with your take on this one.

I didn't see it as at all a close fight. Agramonte was running most of the time and was mostly too far away to reach Louis with those odd jabs he was throwing. The best he usually did was hit Louis on the gloves. His power swings generally missed by embarrassing margins. Louis scored steadily with the jab. Louis landed almost all the body punches. And Louis got much the better of the power punch exchanges. That 59-41 score about reflects how I saw it. I don't think it was a home town decision at all. Louis did stumble a couple of times, but it looked to me more like slips than that he was really hurt. Agramonte was hurt at least three times.

I also thought it was at least a reasonably entertaining fight.

The announcer was Dennis James who was a fairly famous guy on TV back in the 1950's. but as a game show host. I never even knew he was a sports announcer.

Agramonte was a fringe contender type. Louis had gone back a long ways. The old time combinations weren't there. But he still showed good boxing skills. a top jab, and power in both the left hook and inside right. He was still a tough opponent.

Thanks for posting.

6. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    You may be right about how close it was, although I would still question the actual scores. However, I was still fairly bored, so my attention for the fight waned after the 5th, so that might have something to do with my observation of the fight. I probably watched the rounds and made general observations about the rounds, rather than watching punch for punch and making a conclusion.