Joe Louis w/ 10 ounce gloves

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jul 8, 2007.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    How would using modern (bigger) heavyweight gloves affect Louis's ability to score knockouts?

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Interesting.

It will hurt his body shots.

Also, it'll be easier to block some of his more precise shots.

But in terms of when he actually conects it won't make much differecne IMO.

Jackomano likes this.
  3. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    drops his punch effectiveness

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    He still knocks people out left right and center, because it makes next to no difference to his power.

Testing has demonstrated this.

But, and there is a but.

It would be harder to thread those shots through peoples guard with the bigger gloves.

5. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    It wouldn’t hurt his ability to knock guys out.

Louis was knocking people out with 14 oz gloves during his exhibitions. One of my substitute teachers George Giambastiani, who was a big heavyweight fought several exhibitions with Louis and got badly knocked out in one of the matches.

Flash24 and Pugguy like this.
  6. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Joe was so accurate anyway, bigger gloves might be like covering all the scoring areas on a dart board BUT the small bullseye - Joe still hits the bullseye, like he used to so often do anyway.

Here’s another way Joe might deal with bigger gloves held in defence.

Admittedly, Braddock’s left could be held higher in the first place but Joe deliberately punches it away with a left hook, taking the potential guard hand completely out of play, ensuring a clear path for his pulverising right hand.

True, Joe might be outdated now, you don’t see genius moves like that anymore.

This content is protected

7. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Such a good quote! :)

8. tommytheduke

tommytheduke Active Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Something Wilder truly excels at, given his lanky 7ft reach

janitor likes this.
  9. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    It would be good if there was a table created or similar, indicating the general chronological evolution of glove types and sizes, differences for divisions, non title and title bouts through out boxing history.

Even better if it also included details of exceptions made, such as the Hagler - Leonard fight.

I’ve read that Joe Louis wore both 6 oz (early) and 8 oz gloves (later) during his career. I’ve also read that sometime during the 50s they went from 8 oz to 10 oz for HWs. Not to say that is necessarily correct, and that’s the type of detail I would like to be concretely confirmed or corrected.

I wish (but I doubt) there was a one stop website that could provide for such technical data on specific fights - not just re gloves, but ring size, etc.

Searching online in general gives a lot of mixed answers on such finer details.