Joe Louis was lucky that Jack Johnson wasn't around!

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ron davis, Oct 9, 2020.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Only Frank Bruno beats Jack Johnson.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
  3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Johnson would suprise people and beat some other greats that came along after. He would lose a few but he was a boxing master with great ability, Godgiven. He had quickness. Not just physically but mentally.
    He knew a little bit about boxing.

4. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Lennox Lewis for example has no realistic Avenue to beating JJ.
    If they arrested Johnson midnight maybe Lennox gets a draw.

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I'd favor Louis to stop Johnson, though I do believe Johnson could make him look bad. Louis speed & accuracy combined with his power were something Johnson never remotely came close to facing.

Johnson ripped Louis; boxing ability in the press. His points which were probably motivated by wanting to be the only black champion in history were not wrong.

ETM likes this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Lewis would absolutely destroy Johnson. Can you imagine Lennox's career if he were able to feast exclusively on undersized pipefitters and stevedores?

7. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    You are correct in as much as the way Johnson was allowed to box, under the rules of that time, it would be difficult to outright beat Johnson. His whole plan was to stop the other man from doing what he wanted to do, until he got too tired and too frustrated to do it even he wanted to. And there was nothing in the rules then to stop this. But johnson was not trying to fight. He refused to make a fight. Only to stop one from starting. He would get disqualified any time after the 1920s I believe.

8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    We are talking about JoeLouis, but I agree with you, Lennox Lewis would destroy Johnson, it would be over inside 4 rounds.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  9. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Lewis would have taken up chess as a career if he had to face the Cat Quick Johnson. When you can alter a guy's career path that is greatness personified. The cool thing Jack would of done it with that wide smile all the way.

10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Explain this to ,e. How did a 150 pound Jack O;Brien according to primary source better one Jack Johnson? How did a crude Ketchel 160 pound floor and hurt him. Johnson said he was hurt, the press at hand say he was dazed. And why did such a novice in Gunboat Smith TKO Johnson in a 4 round exhibition match, all of which happened in Jack Johnson's prime. Maybe you have good reply, just asking

I think Johnson had fast hands and some ability to make clumsy fighters miss. We are talking about Joe Louis here, a better boxer then the super middles who out boxed and floored Johnson, with far more power than anyone mentioned in 1909.

11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Not Frank Bruno

12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    :risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:

13. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    :pancarta:

ron davis likes this.
  14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Jack Johnson was a true ATG fighter. But no champion was invincible. They were all capable of losing. Why ? Because they were human. As for Johnson beating Joe Louis, I wouldn’t completely rule it out but it’s certainly not something I would bet on

15. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Louis was anything but lucky. He earned everything he accomplished and ducked nobody.