Joe Smith vs Daniel Jacobs

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, May 7, 2021.

1. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Hearn looks to be trying to get his grubby little mitts on a LHW title.

Craig Richards last week, now he is talking about throwing Jacobs in with Smith :dunno

Anybody else think Hearn might to trying to "steal" a title with an underdog so his little golden boy Buatsi can have an easier path to a world title?

Or maybe even Callum Smith?

Goran_ likes this.
  2. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Don’t know what to make of this. Hearn and Jacobs wouldn’t pursue this if they hadn’t seen something that they could exploit in Smith/Vlasov, but Danny looked small against Chavez jr, and looked past prime in his last outings. Besides, Arum will want to save Smith for Beterbiev.

3. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Both Beterbiev and Smith are contractually signed to Top Rank.

Canelo has been on record that he wants to work with Hearn going forward. AJ has 1 fight on his Sky deal and is on DAZN in every country but the UK. Likewise with Whyte. Both will be moving with Hearn within the next 12 months.

I think Matchroom are in a good place.

The issue for Jacob’s is he wants to carry on fighting. Head fought any of the sellable guys at 168. Can’t get down to 160 any more and has enough size that he could go up to 175. My guess is he thinks he can outbox Smith jr like how Bivol did who is really also only a 168 pounder.

the fight to make for me would have been wait for Canelo to vacate the WBO after the plant fight and make Andrade vs Jacobs at 168

4. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I think it’s team Jacob’s that’s asked Hearn for the fight. They think if they get the Smith that fought Bivol they could outbox him. If he wins which is a big if. It will open Callum Smith and Bivol fights to him.
    At 168 the belts are tied up amd there’s not many star names. He really could only make Benavidez Who PBC won’t let fight anyone not tied to PBC. Besides that it’s the likes of Lemieux or Ryder

theanatolian likes this.
  5. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    No benefit for Smith to take this fight. Lose-lose for him unless the money is that good.

6. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    **** that fight. We all want to beterbiev vs smith jr.

UniversalPart likes this.
  7. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    It's a 50/50 fight Jacobs a better boxer Jr has the pop to stop him