John Conteh vs Virgil Hill

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Mar 26, 2023.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Probably a good boxing match

Titan1 and Stevie G like this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Basically the same guy.

Couple of one-arm bandits.

Winner gets Donny Lalonde, a one-hander from the other side.

mr. magoo likes this.
  3. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    John eats Virgil alive. Virgil beat nobody as good as John. Virgil had quicker hands, feet and a longer reach, but that is it. He is getting beaten up

robert ungurean and Noel857 like this.
  4. James Page

James Page Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2023
    I think Hill would be too cahey and crafty for the Coneth man, probably goes the distance but I could see VH winning by cuts to the face

5. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hi Buddy.
    You are correct in your appraisal of Conteh as a one arm bandit, but the moniker certainly did not apply to the fighter pre the Willie Taylor fight, the up and coming Conteh was a vicious, spiteful, two fisted box/puncher, who would unleash hard hurtful right crosses to great effect, it was only the career changing damage he received to his right hand in the Taylor fight, that necessitated a change in tactics, had he not sustained the injury, my belief is that he would have reigned for many a year, as I have said on previous posts, to see him spar up close ( as I have ) is a breathtaking experience, the punches come in salvos, hard and with bad intent, the paid help had to earn their wages, in no uncertain terms, have seen and spoken to Conteh over the years, and he is great company, witty, self deprecating, and full of anecdotes, mind you his right hand still shows the evidence of the Taylor fight.
    stay safe Saint, always enjoy your knowledgeable insights to our sport , chat soon amigo.

6. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I don't think it's that simple. I do favor Conteh at his peak to win, but it damn sure wouldn't be some blowout.

Virgil Hill has many solid wins, he was a class fighter. And historically, Conteh has been overrated as Hell on this forum. People talk about him as if he were Ezzard Charles. He's very overblown, and years ago I too was guilty of overrating him. He wasn't good enough to give Hill a beating.

I make Conteh only a slight favorite here. It's essentially a 50-50.

mr. magoo likes this.
  7. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Well he was good enough past prime to give Matthew Saad Muhammad all he could handle in the first fight.
    If they had not cheated with the cut he would have had WTKO on his resume against an ATG.
    He’d beaten Yacqui Lopez a fighter much revered on here virtually one handed.
    I get where you’re coming from though with him being overblown, Conteh was a bit of a could’ve, would’ve, should’ve but his actual talent was huge at his best a beautiful fighter.

8. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I had the pleasure of meeting John last year. Nice and interesting guy. I agree with your assessment about his reign lasting a decent amount of time. I've always thought that John could have turned out one of the greatest 175lb men had circumstances been different.

John outpoints Virgil Hill clearly. Hill cute enough to last the distance but that's all he's doing.

Clinton and Noel857 like this.
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Conteh by decision, Hill only had a jab Conteh had a jab ,and he could punch.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    Clinton, Noel857 and mr. magoo like this.
  10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Prior to the injury to his right hand Conteh was a two fisted boxer puncher.

Clinton and JohnThomas1 like this.
  11. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    His 1-2-3 was his best combo: jab, right cross, headbutt.

12. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    You just described every MSM defense pretty much. That was his thing, going life and death and just stealing someone’s soul in the end.

13. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I totally agree.
    His unwillingness to yield was off the scale no matter what trauma he was going through,

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Saintpat likes this.
  14. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    One of the few MSM defenses that didn’t fit this mold was the rematch with Conteh.

John absolutely wanted no part of another fight with him. Which says a lot about Saad.

15. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    John by majority decision. Virgil is good enough to last the distance.