John L Sullivan v.s Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    Marquess Of Queensbury Rules

who wins?

2. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    What size are the gloves? What are the rules on clinching? Sullivan would have difficulty landing on a whirlwind like Dempsey, but he was quite strong and savvy in the clinches, and his right hand (a punch Dempsey was vulnerable to) was considered incredible. Nevertheless, I'd go with Dempsey by knockout here--boxing in Sullivan's time did not account for the midrange hook that emerged from the rulechanges of the early 20th century.

We really don't have the footage to judge, though.

3. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    thanks for your opinion. :good

4. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
  5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey by ko late ,too fast afoot and too elusive with his bobbing and weaving for John L to land his big right hand wallop,Sullivan was seldom in the condition Jack was,Dempsey hooks to the body would slow down the old brawler,and his short power shots would halt his rhino charges.

6. RoccoMarciano

RoccoMarciano Blockbuster Full Member

Jan 15, 2007
    I agree. They both were great, there is little doubt about that one. I often wish I could go back in time and watch one of prime Sullivan's fights.. as should be the wish of any clasic boxing fan imo as he was the first real "superstar" of the sport.

7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Dempsey.
    No doubt about it.

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Care to explain your reasoning?

Without footage of Sullivan what makes you reach such a definite conclusion?

9. mike4819

mike4819 Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In case you haven't seen it, there is a 30 second blurb video on you tube of Sullivan and Corbett mugging for the camera, I think at Jefferies training camp. Funny, Sullivan with the big mustache. Anyway towards the end he fakes throwing an overhand right,and for a split second I think you can see really some fire in the old man's eyes. just thought you would get a kick out of it.:good

10. RoccoMarciano

RoccoMarciano Blockbuster Full Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Thanks for the reminder, Mike! That is a good, albeit past prime :), clip.

11. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Two guys with explosive punching power, quick hands, aggresive, and they moved like big cats. Sullivan a bigger guy, despite coming along several decades earlier. Both two handed, though Sullivan became reliant on the right in the latter part of his career (after breaking the left in the Cardiff fight). Dempsey a bit more noted for his left, and a bit noted for taking hard rights. Both good stamina, though I get the impression Sullivan's (when he trained) struck contemporaries as more special.

Time-machining greats together, I'll near always take other top-15 historical heavies over Sullivan (in a Queensbery), because they are more able to specialize in Qeensbery techniques, and because I think their competition would better give them a base of experience than John L's would have. However, in potens, I think Sullivan was very special, a great among the greats, and I would pick him over most other top-15 heavies, on the basis of being born into, and peaking, in their time.

Time machined together from their respective eras, I make Dempsey a moderate favorite; developing in each others day, I slightly favor Sullivan.

12. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Sullivan and Dempsey essentially had the same aggressive swarming style, coming forward trying to knock your head off using two-fisted punching power. Only Sullivan was bigger, stronger, and faster.

13. pugilist_boyd

pugilist_boyd BUSTED UP PUG Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Dempsey By Midround Maybe 6-7 Ko They Were Both Strong And Tough Swarmers But Most People Dont Remember Jack Could Really Box Well When He Wanted To,his Speed And Skill Would Just Outclass The Tough Scrapper Sullivan

14. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Sullivan wasn't "undersized" like Fitz or Corbett, correct?

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Sullivan was between 5 10 and 5 10 1/2,and weighed 198 in shape.