John L. Sullivan vs Gene Tunney

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SailorSharkey, Aug 16, 2021.

1. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    If they were allowed to wrestle and throw at the time then he may have.

Reinhardt likes this.
  2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    My point exactly, at that time you could really grapple and throw a man to the floor

BCS8 likes this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Makes me wonder how a boxer also trained in Judo would have done. Leg sweeps and hip throws suck ass especially if you haven't practised falling from them.

4. SailorSharkey

SailorSharkey New Member banned Full Member

Jun 14, 2021
    I've found one report from "The Brooklyn Daily Eagle". It states "It was the almost unanimous opinion of the crowds that saw the fight that had the affair progressed it could only have ended in defeat for Corbett." I found this source from page 178 of "In the ring with James J. Jeffries." It doesn't list the date unfortunately.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  5. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    It'll be the next day report, veiwable here
    https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031151/1898-11-23/ed-1/seq-4/#date1=11/23/1898&index=11&date2=11/23/1898&searchType=advanced&SearchType=prox5&sequence=0&words=Corbe'tt+Corbet.t+Corbett+Corbett’s&proxdistance=5&to_year=1898&rows=20&ortext=&from_year=1898&proxtext=corbett&phrasetext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=range&page=1

The consensus was definitely that Sharkey was having the better of it, but if you read various round by round accounts, Corbett seems to have been getting back into it. Due to the weird ending, and the reports having such different opinions, I don't think you can take much from it.

https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83030272/1898-11-23/ed-1/seq-2
    Here's another report. There's many more, but most aren't avaliable for free.

70sFan865 and SailorSharkey like this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    A lot of contemporary observers said that Sullivan was a good technician.

I will grant you that gloved boxing was in its infancy, but the sport of boxing was centuries old.

We can't simply assume that Sullivan was crude.

Also Sullivan was obviously the best puncher of his era, so he wouldn't necessarily have to be a master boxer to beat Tunney.
    Sullivan fought the best professional boxers of his era.

I lean towards the idea that it was a weak era, but I can't prove that it was.
    By no means everybody from that era fought leaning back, Sullivan himself being a case in point.

Corbett was fairly unorthodox by the standards of his era, so I would not assume that he was typical.
    Sullivan might have been 33 when he fought Corbett, but he was a chronic alcoholic, who had been inactive for years, and he had lost much of the mobility in his left arm (after he broke it in the Cardiff fight).

It is safe to say that he was pretty shot.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    SailorSharkey, 70sFan865 and djanders like this.
  7. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I noticed that Teddy Atlas lists John L. Sullivan as #8 on his all-time Heavyweight list. I'd love to ask him how he came to that conclusion.

Teddy Atlas, 2011:
    1. Joe Louis

2. Muhammad Ali

3. Jack Johnson

4. Rocky Marciano

5. Gene Tunney

6. Jack Dempsey

7. Sam Langford

8. John L. Sullivan

9. Larry Holmes

10. Sonny Liston

8. SailorSharkey

SailorSharkey New Member banned Full Member

Jun 14, 2021
    Thanks

9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    You could make a case for having Sullivan in your top five.

He was as dominant as anybody has ever been.

10. Greb5000

Greb5000 New Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Supposedly he also said dempsey would have koed sullivan in about two seconds. Re robert smith world boxing and wrestling

11. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Yes. It's extremely hard to rank him. A case could be made to rank him anywhere from #1 to #100.

janitor likes this.
  12. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Exactly so.

A lot of people assume that they have some sort of handle on the man, until we swipe it out of their hand!

13. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    When the Great John L see Tunney wearing a Corbett style thong into the ring (Tunney thought it was a great idea to wear a thong like the man who defeated Sullivan as a psychological plot to enrage Sullivan), he is immediately filled with lust so strong that he is actually dizzy.
    Tunney takes advantage of his evil plot and slaps Sullivan mercilessly for the entire first round. After drinking a full glass of whiskey back in his corner, Sullivan becomes revitalized and begins to land heavy shot on Tunney's chin, who then gets on his bicycle for the rest of the right, avoiding the bull like rushes of Sullivan. Final result is a UD for Tunney.

14. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    Thinking that John Sullivan fought in a similar style to Jim Jeffries might not be a bad guess, but there really is no way to be sure. I would not attempt to guess at a winner of John Sullivan vs. Gene Tunney without film of young Sullivan to analyze.

Fergy likes this.
  15. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think they were quite different.

I get the impression Sullivan was somewhat closer to Dempsey. Much more aggressive and a better finisher, while Jeffrieswas more methodical. Though I rate big Jeff higher than either.

Jeffries isn't the easiest to get a handle on either, for sure he fought in different styles in different fights.