John Mugabi vs Don Curry 154 pounds

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Blofeld, May 9, 2023.

1. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    Who wins and why?

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    If you took Curry from the McCrory fight and whacked him up into 154 i'd take him. So much more skill and he wouldn't be afraid to get in close and smother his power at times. He also had quite crisp power of his own as evidenced by him hurting McCallum notably at 154. Mugabi has a puncher's chance.

3. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I've got Curry but Mugabi is dangerous as hell. I think Mugabi would struggle with Curry's speed.

Levook and Blofeld like this.
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Prior to the 5th round of the McCallum fight, I would go with Curry all day long. But the Curry after the McCallum fight, not so much.

5. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    True. After the McCallum his team would be crazy to be near Mugabi. Or any big puncher. The division had some monstrous punchers in Mugabi and Jackson. Norris too. Before McCallum you fancy his chances.

Brixton Bomber and Blofeld like this.
  6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I'd take the pre Hagler Mugabi to blast out Curry at 154.

TipNom and greynotsoold like this.
  7. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I do. Curry was never chinny during his career, but that left hook McCallum laid on him had that same cerebral effect that Weaver had on Tate, Rosario had on Bramble and Hearns had on Cuevas. A shaky/weak chin thereafter.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  8. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Yes and I think Curry was never the same mentally again. It started with Honeyghan and after the McCallum defeat he was never the same again and yet still good enough to gain a WBC strap. That’s how good his ability was.

Brixton Bomber and scartissue like this.
  9. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2007
    I seem to remeber this fight was mooted but Curry lost his title to Rene Jaquoet in an upset.
    At that time i fancied Mugabi to get the KO. Looking back over 30 yrs later I still pick Mugabi. Curry was not the same after McCallum

scartissue and Flash24 like this.
  10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Not sure. Donald curry had a “ little “ success above welter but not much. For all practical purposes, welterweight was his division. While i agree that curry was quicker and more skilled than Mugabi, I’m skeptical about him taking any of those big shots thrown by the beast

11. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Curry was done after Honeyghan for all intent. He was never the same.

Flash24 and CANNONBALL like this.
  12. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2007
    absolutely

13. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Bravo. The Honeyghan loss was being understated for mine. A weight drained Curry got the crap belted out of him. Close inspection of his 2 fights between The Ghan and McCallum show disappointing performances in which he won both via his opponents committing headbutting fouls.

Now he did look like he'd turned it around before getting caught by that McCallum left hook but let's be honest - McCallum was no monster puncher even at 154. He'd timed guys well before without them going. Even McCrory lasted ages in there with him and had some ok moments.

14. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    It was annoying watching Curry post Honeyghan- one round he looked like his old self the very next round he would look lost.
    The Mccallum fight was exactly like that as Curry only looked like himself in spots.

Brixton Bomber and JohnThomas1 like this.
  15. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes it was frustrating how the rest of his career progressed, well regressed really. He was fighting at such a high level.

Flash24 likes this.