John Mugabi vs Don Curry 154 pounds

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Blofeld, May 9, 2023.

1. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    How did Mugabi look in his fights after the loss to Thomas and before the Jacquot fight? The win against Rene didn't tell us anything he broke his ankle in round 1 so John won by default. Curry said his legs went against Rene in their fight so without mobility Don would be a sitting target for John. On the other hand Don could still outbox Mugabi, who was a lot less mobile than Jacquot, although the moment Don slowed it could be curtains?

2. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I love Curry but he didn't look brilliant during n after Mugabi. Also not a fan of hypotheticals where it would b impossible for both fighters to b at their best w the weight n prime year differences. Curry could get a decision in a shaky fight but like said his lapse during McClellan has me bothered. Again, Curry wasn't at his best there.

Blofeld likes this.
  3. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    John late. Donald was never the same after his fight with Lloyd, and at some point, he is going to get tagged.

4. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
  5. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I think Donald wins by knockout in about 5 rounds. He would pick him apart from the outside and he would be too fast. I think Marvin's style made it harder for Marvin than John would have been for some others who fought from the outside and landed.

Blofeld likes this.
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Mugabi by mid rounds ko, after being behind on the cards.

7. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    After having a think about it I wonder if Don was the mentally stronger of the two? Apart from the Hagler bout John never impressed in title matches. I wonder if after Marv got to him he found the big fight occasion overwhelming? Don had more experience winning title matches against better opposition. While he was KO'd vs McCallum I think this may not be a template for what may happen against Mugabi. The Bodysnatcher was a much better fighter than John IMO and pretty much landed the perfect hook, I almost see that KO as like Nunn vs Kalambay, if they fought ten times it would never happen again, although I feel Mike would win the majority of the time.

8. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I think Curry at his very best beats Mugabi via wide UD. He would box circles around The Beast, who would no doubt be dangerous for the duration.

Boy, did Curry look like a future ATG at his best, or what? He seemed to have all the ability in the world, along with excellent power & a dynamic style. Talk about someone's potential remaining unfulfilled. Not that I'm downing his accomplishments, of course.

Blofeld likes this.
  9. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    One of those fights where Curry is looking good--until he isn't. And that would be the end.

I do not think for a minute he backs up Mugabi and the other thing Curry always did was to pull straight back. I think he has to go forward to win and just do not see it at 154. Not against this guy anyway.